Can I Expect Rv Parks To Be Level?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Dave-and-Ellen, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Dave-and-Ellen

Dave-and-Ellen
    Expand Collapse

Hello ALL:

Newbee here and we have not gone on our "Shakedown cruise" yet!
    I was wondering if I need the Leggo type leveling blocks as found in places like Camping World? We have a 2006 Leisure Travel Class B, and wonder if camping in an RV park that is not in the middle of the woods (Like Yakama Nation) would be level enough for us to just pull in without worrying about the refrigerator. I am afraid I have a lot to learn!

TIA

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Dave and Ellen,

Most all RV sites are out of level some what. You will find sites that are level and most will be cement or blacktop. We find that you can move a foot up or back and level will change. Refrigerators are not that big of a deal and will work off level. If you can walk around inside it will work OK. Any type of items will work to level up on, wood, Leggo type, Woodall RV books, etc. I would also buy a small round level (couple bucks) , park in place that is level, place level in your class B in a place that shows to be level. Then as you drive into site check and see if you need to move right, left, back, or front. This trick saves a lot of time.

Enjoy RV life on the open roads and welcome to this site.

3. Dave-and-Ellen

Dave-and-Ellen
    Expand Collapse

Thank you John. We do have a bubble level and was told that a non compressor refer needs to be within 6 degrees. I agree that we do not have to go crazy and watching a level as I park is a great idea. We have a bubble level and will see how that goes. I was just wondering if I should get the leggos just in case. Space is at a premium so I don't want to drag what I don't need!

P.S. I like your Woodalls idea. :D
    P.P.S. I had to delete quoted text as no matter what I did it quoted your reply.

4. OldSoldier

OldSoldier
    Expand Collapse

In general motor coaches, Classes a, b and c alike, are less versatile than trailers when it comes to leveling. Therefore, finding a level campsite is more critical. I have had a truck camper, a 5'er and a Class C and have found that the trailers are easier to level in general.

As a coach owner and aware of these characteristics, it is encumbant that you are prepared rather than unsatisfied. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Good luck.
    :)

5. Dave-and-Ellen

Dave-and-Ellen
    Expand Collapse

OK, I believe I will buy a package of 10 Leggo type levels in case. Thank you.

QUOTE(OldSoldier @ Aug 13 2006, 09:48 AM) [snapback]4792[/snapback]

In general motor coaches, Classes a, b and c alike, are less versatile than trailers when it comes to leveling. Therefore, finding a level campsite is more critical. I have had a truck camper, a 5'er and a Class C and have found that the trailers are easier to level in general.

As a coach owner and aware of these characteristics, it is encumbant that you are prepared rather than unsatisfied. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Good luck.

6. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

They are also good for placing under your jacks. At one campground, the trailer sat level side to side, but the back of the site was so low that the jacks wouldn't meet the ground.

7. Dave-and-Ellen

Dave-and-Ellen
    Expand Collapse

Well, we have a class B so I do not have jacks. Camping World has the "Leggo" type and some love them and some hate them. I guess they are good on a pad or small stones but can break on soft grass and mud. I am just trying to make it so the Refer will work OK.

QUOTE(Cheryl @ Aug 13 2006, 05:15 PM) [snapback]4795[/snapback]

They are also good for placing under your jacks. At one campground, the trailer sat level side to side, but the back of the site was so low that the jacks wouldn't meet the ground.

8. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

Dave and Ellen,
    I have had the leggo type for 8 years and I personally think they are wonderful. We have had them with 3 trailers and have used them quite frequently. They are a good puchase and do not take up much space.

9. Dave-and-Ellen

Dave-and-Ellen
    Expand Collapse

Great...do you think 1 ten pack is enough.

BTW, we go to Atlanta and stay in Hotels in the Perimeter center. Is there an RV park there?

TIA,
    Dave

QUOTE(mastercraft @ Aug 13 2006, 07:02 PM) [snapback]4797[/snapback]

Dave and Ellen,
    I have had the leggo type for 8 years and I personally think they are wonderful. We have had them with 3 trailers and have used them quite frequently. They are a good puchase and do not take up much space.

10. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

Start with 1 and see if that is enough. I have never needed more than that. There are no campgrounds in that area that I know of, but there are some fantastic campgrounds operated by the COE on Lake Lanier which is about thirty minutes outside of the perimeter. We primarily go the Bald Ridge Creek which is up GA 400 off exit 16.

11. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(OldSoldier @ Aug 13 2006, 08:48 AM) [snapback]4792[/snapback]

Where in the world did you c me up with the iddea that a trailer is easier to level than a class A. Hard to find a class A with out jacks. I can sit in the drivers seat and have it leveled in a couple mins. :rolleyes:

12. aMazin

aMazin
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(OldSoldier @ Aug 13 2006, 12:48 PM) [snapback]4792[/snapback]

Good luck.

Really? :unsure: Our class A is very easy to level. The jacks are great and I have it level in about 1 minute most of the time.

D&E - I would take something along to help level. The world is not flat. I've seen pictures from space and it looks round and unlevel. :lol: Get the lego's or some 2x10's and cut to length. Better to have something to level up with than to wish you brought something.

13. Dave-and-Ellen

Dave-and-Ellen
    Expand Collapse

Great...good info, and thank you!

QUOTE(mastercraft @ Aug 13 2006, 09:44 PM) [snapback]4802[/snapback]

Start with 1 and see if that is enough. I have never needed more than that. There are no campgrounds in that area that I know of, but there are some fantastic campgrounds operated by the COE on Lake Lanier which is about thirty minutes outside of the perimeter. We primarily go the Bald Ridge Creek which is up GA 400 off exit 16.

14. Dave-and-Ellen

Dave-and-Ellen
    Expand Collapse

Yes, I too, had heard about the earth being round or something like that. Actually, with a 21' Class B, it should be flat, however. :D

I will bring a box of "legos" as the wood gets messy when wet, etc.

QUOTE(aMazin @ Aug 14 2006, 09:14 AM) [snapback]4806[/snapback]

QUOTE(OldSoldier @ Aug 13 2006, 12:48 PM) [snapback]4792[/snapback]

Good luck.

Really? :unsure: Our class A is very easy to level. The jacks are great and I have it level in about 1 minute most of the time.

D&E - I would take something along to help level. The world is not flat. I've seen pictures from space and it looks round and unlevel. :lol: Get the lego's or some 2x10's and cut to length. Better to have something to level up with than to wish you brought something.

15. Sunflyer

Sunflyer
    Expand Collapse

We have two bags even though we have a Class A with jacks. We use them on soft ground to support our jacks. Never had one break but have had one sink so far down in the soft ground it took quite a bit of prying to dig it back up out of the earth. When we extended the jacks they pushed the blocks down in the ground. That's because we had only put two out, one on top of the other. A wider base would have helped in that situation.

You may find that two bags help as you can "build" a base for your tires.
    Especially if you need to go up. You can stack them in a pyramid which depending on your parking situation might take up more blocks than you expect. Buy one and play with different stacking configurations to see what you think. Oh, by the way, Walmart often sells them too.

16. Dave-and-Ellen

Dave-and-Ellen
    Expand Collapse

Great. I see Camping World has a 10 pack and will see if they cost less elsewhere.

QUOTE(Sunflyer @ Aug 15 2006, 05:40 PM) [snapback]4828[/snapback]

We have two bags even though we have a Class A with jacks. We use them on soft ground to support our jacks. Never had one break but have had one sink so far down in the soft ground it took quite a bit of prying to dig it back up out of the earth. When we extended the jacks they pushed the blocks down in the ground. That's because we had only put two out, one on top of the other. A wider base would have helped in that situation.

You may find that two bags help as you can "build" a base for your tires.
    Especially if you need to go up. You can stack them in a pyramid which depending on your parking situation might take up more blocks than you expect. Buy one and play with different stacking configurations to see what you think. Oh, by the way, Walmart often sells them too.

17. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Just a point to ponder, when using anything to level your units, make a point to make sure the tires are entirely on the pads, boards, etc, as damage to the tires may occur. This does not occur immediately, but if allowed to happen over time, the belts within the tire will weaken. Tire failure will occur because of the damage. Just food for thought.

18. Dave-and-Ellen

Dave-and-Ellen
    Expand Collapse

Yes, I will do that. There is a TIP on the box of 10 in Camping World but have no idea what they are trying to say. It is something like "tip no. 3...make sure" and I forgot the rest. I sure had no idea what the box was trying to say!

QUOTE(Butch @ Aug 18 2006, 07:41 AM) [snapback]4849[/snapback]

Just a point to ponder, when using anything to level your units, make a point to make sure the tires are entirely on the pads, boards, etc, as damage to the tires may occur. This does not occur immediately, but if allowed to happen over time, the belts within the tire will weaken. Tire failure will occur because of the damage. Just food for thought.

19. Meterman46

Meterman46
    Expand Collapse

I would like to say that most parks are pretty level but I have found that some sites need a little more than a block or two to level up the trailer. I just stayed at a COE park and the site I was on we needed some extra blocking to help level up. Everytime I go out I think that I'm carrying too much "blocks for leveling" But everytime I end up on a site needing extra blocks I'm glad I still carried them. I suggest carry what you think youl'll need and hope that you have enough. I'd rather carry a few more and not need them than not carry them and end up needing them. Happy Trails

20. COWolfPack

COWolfPack
    Expand Collapse

Dave and Ellen,
    I pickup up a box of 10 Legos at walmart for a pretty good price. The selection they have of RV stuff is small but I found out what they do have tends to be a little less expensive than the RV stores.