Can you back a towed vehicle?

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by Jack B, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Wildfire

Wildfire
    Expand Collapse

Just curious what is your overall height ?

2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

We measure right at 17'-7" to the roof top of the Smart Car. We don't drive interstates and instead travel the back roads so we never have problems with an underpass. Low hanging trees can give us problems at times but I solved that problem by installing 4 wheel drive in the coach so we can just go off road and drive around them. Now if you are believing all this then send me a PM and I'll send you the name of the guy that installed our 4 wheel dive unit in the coach............ :D

Never believe a Smartass..............(aka BankShot)

PS: Safe and happy travels Wildfire, and welcome aboard the forum......

3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I'm sure the difference in ease of backing is related to to the power steering as said. With the engine running and a "pilot" on board the toad, holding the wheel straight should be pretty easy. When backing without that assistance, I suspect it's the amount of drag the non-operating power steering puts on the steering that determines how easily a given toad can be backed. In our case, our RAV4 seems to put up enough resistance that backing several feet with no issues is really quite easy as well.

4. Wildfire

Wildfire
    Expand Collapse

Well that makes sense as I use 4 smart cars for traction on my RAM . When I get done they are about 6 inches tall ! Since we transferred the coach to an UniMogg frame it will go anywhere except in over 10 feet of water.m

5. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

You nailed it Doc. It's a two driver operation. The coach has to be steered (is that a word?) as well as the towed.

Darrell

6. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

So let me get this straight: you have a Smart Car that you drive up on top of your motorhome that becomes an ark using pontoons in wet weather because of all the animals you take with you on a trip. Sounds to me like your aka is very apropos. :rolleyes: I would ask you send a photo of your car with its curved windbreak parked up there on the motorhome, but I imagine your camera batteries are still dead so you can't take a picture right now--or ever.:D