Can You Help A Brit??...we Did It!!!

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Hols 2009, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Hols 2009

Hols 2009
    Expand Collapse

Well we did it!! I posted a question back in April and got replies back which were really helpful, thought you might like to know how we got on. What a fantastic holiday, it took an awful lot of planning and lots of time on the internet but it was worth it. Without fail, all RV owners that we met were so helpful, so a big thank you to you all for the help that you gave us.Yes we did alot of miles, approx 1300 in 9 days but it was worth it. After a two night stay in San Francisco we picked up our El Monte AS32, the Dublin depot seems to be mostly staffed by eastern Europeans and some of the hand over was a bit touch and go as to whether they actually understood the RV, never mind us!!

We drove to Marin RV Park for the night so we could see the Redwood Forest the next day, all my internet planning came unravelled when we found out the park and ride in to John Muir Park only ran on weekends..our only real disappointment. Now we were understanding the limitations of a 35ft vehicle! We pushed on to the KOA at Santa Cruz through the coastal mist, this massive and expensive camp was great for those with kids or on a church camp weekend, there didn't seem to be anything else in between!

The next day was really one of the best, we got some really good advice from the lady at the tourist info in Monterey who nailed it exactly when she said it would take us 3 and a half hours from Carmel to San Simeon. We drove the 17mile pacific drive, breath taking. Parked at Pebble Beach Golf club and had lunch! and then drove on down along the coastal road. I had been led to believe that it would nose to tail and horrifically busy, but it wasn't. My husband did sterling work staying on the road and pulling off at all the various vista points for some amazing views. We stopped to see the elephant seals beyond Ragged point which were gorgeous.We stopped that night at San Simeon before Hearst Castle the next day.Our camp that night was KOA Santa Margarita which was a small camp and we met Rodney who took us through the finer points of RV'ing and helped us incredibly. Now christened the 'Internationals' we carried on to KOA Lake Isabella and then KOA Needles. Here we had some fun when we lost power and broke down, not exactly want you want when you're a Brit in 115 degree heat. Carly at the camp couldn't have been more helpful as she sorted us out with a local garage, even the poor neighbour who lived on his RV came out in the pitch black to help us lower our legs.

Our long driving was rewarded with an afternoon and following morning at The Grand Canyon, which was simply biblical. Ten X camp ground just out of the park put us up for the night for $10 what a bargain!! Our last stop was Lake Mead, fabulous views and very pleasant host. We dropped the RV in Las Vegas before we continued our holiday with a stay there and then on to Denver to stay with friends.
    We had the most amazing holiday thanks to you guys, you helped us collect our quarters which we have now proudly put in a display wallet from the Denver mint, chatted to us in diners (especially Deb in Juicys in Needles), and entertained us (thanks to the ranger at the Hoover dam that handcuffed my husband for a photo!!)
    We stayed in various camps 4 KOA's, 2 privately owned and 2 state parks which all offered something different. I shall post my reviews soon!!
    Thanks again America for having us, it was a blast, or as you guys say 'Awesome!!'

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

What a great trip and write up! Hope we'll see you again next year. :)

3. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Happy to hear that you all had a great time in the States, good report. Did you have any problems with wrong side of the road? We also enjoyed our last trip over to see the UK as well, a bit cool but nice. People who live in the UK were very nice to meet and talk with. We have RV friends from England who live here now.

4. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Hols 2009 @ Aug 23 2009, 09:28 AM) [snapback]18563[/snapback]

Thanks again America for having us, it was a blast, or as you guys say 'Awesome!!'

I get the impression that this post validates at least one thing in international relationships: RVers are some of the best people in the WORLD.

Hols 2009> We thank you for passing along with your positive comments.

5. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

Glad you had such a good time!