Christmas 2016 Sunshine Coast Kenilworth trip

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Jason Goodwin, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

So went up on December 19th (Que high winds and hail) for 5 nights (Que shorter stay because of high winds and Hail) to stay at the Kenilworth Showgrounds (http://www.kenilworthhall.org.au/) and work out from there. We are also taking the mutley with us which will limit access to some locations i.e. National Park areas.

Planned visits for trip (That will be photographed and reviewed)
    Kenilworth Cheese Factory (http://kenilworthcountryfoods.com.au/)
    Brouhaha Brewery (http://brouhahabrewery.com.au/)
    Maleny Dairy Farm tour (http://malenydairies.com/)
    Noosa North Shore & Teewah Beach drive (https://www.npsr.qld.gov.au/parks/cooloola/about.html)
    Charlie Moreland Day visit area (https://www.npsr.qld.gov.au/parks/imbil/camping.html)
    Eumundi Night Markets (http://www.eumundimarkets.com.au/)
    Noosa River

So we are staying at the Kenilworth Showground. The location is $18 a night for power and the HOT showers are $2 it also has a skatebowl so its quite well priced and has the swimming pool (http://www.kenilworthpool.com.au/) attached which is a separate cost at $30 for a 10 visit pass.

Trip report to follow.

2. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

So Kenilworth Showground represents excellent value for money but there is a catch, the location, which is an issue or is simply not depending on your needs and family setup.
    For us the location was about 40 minutes from Noosa and Coolum on Queensland's Sunshine Coast (2 hours north of Brisbane). We found we got sick of the drive every day to get to the Sunny Coast. By no means am I saying the location was bad it is just for us it was too far out.
    Firstly the location.
    IMG_1734.JPG
    Mainly staffed by volunteers the showground is immaculate, excellent value for money and has great local amenities.
    IMG_1759.JPG
    Our setup Cost was $18 a night for the 5 of us with power on brand new outlets. we are on the cricket pitch.

Attached Files:

3. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

So we planned our visit around family with the Noosa River and my parents boat plus that bloody massive Kayak that I bought for only $300AUD on a trip to Sawtell in Coastal NSW.
    20161220_094432.JPG
    best $300AUD I ever spent despite the shoulder and back injuries putting it on the prado.
    IMG_1748.JPG
    My dad's boat was also a winner for the kids and me note beer fridge in middle cunningly disguised as a "Seat".........
    IMG_1750.JPG
    And got a little no catch anything fishing in......but my little bloke had a ball.....

4. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

So we drove up to Maleny for the day.
    One of the benefits of Kenilworth is that you can drive past the park on the road up. Expect single lane bridges on blind corners though. Once there its great. For us it was hot 38 degrees celsius (100.4 degrees Fahrenheit for my US friends) hot with humidity through the roof.
    IMG_1771.JPG
    The view from up top...well make up your own mind this pic doesn't do it justice. Top of the range with the Glasshouse mountains in the background.
    20161221_101106_1.JPG
    We recommend the amazing Maleny Dairy tour, it was $60 nearly for the 5 of us but a great tour and very interesting. The custard, Gold top Milk and Yoghurt were a highlight.
    IMG_1762.jpg
    and they had some Blue Healer Cattle dog pups and baby cows to enjoy. Little buggers were a bit ruined in my book....
    20161221_104614.JPG
    Cute little potty calves....
    IMG_1768.JPG
    The walk around town is nice, we drove through Montville which was amazing too. this is their local showground camping with brand new toilets and showers...at $15AUD(powered) a night that's excellent value as you can walk everywhere......if you don't expire from the heat....
    IMG_1765.JPG
    And then there is BrouHaHa Brewery. I reckon the passionfruit mango ale was possibly the nicest beer I have ever tasted. The food is pricey ($22AUD for a Steak Sandwich) but the ales are amazing. (Who is that ruggedly handsome man....he should be a male model....or have a hook in his mouth)

Coming to America soon!

5. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

So we returned and had a great time.....The stars at night from the showground are amazing so that too is a plus. No pictures to do it justice but a few storms floating around.
    IMG_1745.jpg
    There is no butcher which was a surprise to us and the supermarket is very very basic. The Cheese factory MUST be attended as the different cheeses are incredible and the ice creams awesome.

Will we return....probably not as it is too far with the kids. There are a number of new campgrounds nearby that are well worth the visit.

Attached Files:

BankShot and Rollin Ollens like this.
  6. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

I really enjoy your "trip" reviews. The winter up here is a little cooler than I would like. We've even had a bit of snow and temps are hovering around 0 C (32 F) so being able to enjoy your warmer weather thru the pics is nice. Keep them coming.

Darrell

Jason Goodwin likes this.
  7. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for another great trip report from "down under"! Your pics are making me even more anxious to get rolling on our winter 3 month trip south to the warm weather in Florida. Just 10 days until we head out!

8. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

A usual Jason your RV trip reports are excellent and contain many very interesting pictures of the areas you stay at. Hope your holidays were wonderful ones for you and your family and may all your travels in 2017 be safe and memorable.................

Best Regards Mate, BankShot..............(aka Terry)

9. Cyclonic

Cyclonic
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the look at camping "Down Under"

Surprised the dairy charged for a tour, would not have expected that. The passion fruit mango ale sounds very interesting.

10. GaTripsters

GaTripsters
    Expand Collapse

Newbie here! I thoroughly enjoyed your trip report! Wow, 100°F there in December. So your seasons are opposite ours? Last weekend, it was in the teens here in NW GA with ice. Today it was 71°F. HA! Crazy weather! Never a dull moment.

11. Hutch333id

Hutch333id
    Expand Collapse

Great pictures and report. I just can't believe you parked on a cricket pitch! I thought that would be like parking on sacred ground for an Aussie....lol

Envious of your temps. We've been down to -35oC recently and spring is still a very long way off.