Coin-operated Showers

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Luvtheroad, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

What's with all the coin-operated showers in the northeast? Five of the last six campgrounds we've stayed in have coin-op showers. Usually we head west for our 4-6 months trips, and I only saw one rv park with coin-op showers and that was in a national park. Granted, I usually shower in our camper, but occasionally I like a nice hot shower instead of the luke-warm drizzle I get in the rig. It seems if you are paying $48 a night for a site, showers should be included? Maybe I'm just getting grumpy in my old age.....

2. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jamarynn1 @ Jul 9 2012, 10:03 AM) [snapback]29935[/snapback]

What's with all the coin-operated showers in the northeast? Five of the last six campgrounds we've stayed in have coin-op showers. Usually we head west for our 4-6 months trips, and I only saw one rv park with coin-op showers and that was in a national park. Granted, I usually shower in our camper, but occasionally I like a nice hot shower instead of the luke-warm drizzle I get in the rig. It seems if you are paying $48 a night for a site, showers should be included? Maybe I'm just getting grumpy in my old age.....

Was there a code to get into the restroom? If not I would imagine it is to make up for non-campers who sneak in and shower. Otherwise it is pure greed.

3. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Unfortunately It's all about the money, welcome to the Northeast...

Mike

4. Sirsea

Sirsea
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(mdcamping @ Jul 9 2012, 07:46 PM) [snapback]29947[/snapback]

Unfortunately It's all about the money, welcome to the Northeast...

Mike

Most likely it's to curb the needless waste of resources (water and electricity or gas) by those who think hot water is free and endless just because they pay for a night in the campground. Do the math on what it takes to maintain a CG, provide 50-30 amp electricity, cable TV and Wi-Fi...$48 bucks is a bargain compared to a cut-rate motel.

5. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Sirsea @ Jul 9 2012, 09:34 PM) [snapback]29950[/snapback]

Most likely it's to curb the needless waste of resources (water and electricity or gas) by those who think hot water is free and endless just because they pay for a night in the campground. Do the math on what it takes to maintain a CG, provide 50-30 amp electricity, cable TV and Wi-Fi...$48 bucks is a bargain compared to a cut-rate motel.

Yes, but the same hot water is free in my camper. I use their water and their electricity to heat it so what's the diff if I use it in my camper or in the bathhouse? And yes, $48 is a bargain compared to a cut-rate motel, but I brought my "motel room" with me.....

6. rkw99

rkw99
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jamarynn1 @ Jul 10 2012, 09:33 PM) [snapback]29966[/snapback]

Yes, but the same hot water is free in my camper. I use their water and their electricity to heat it so what's the diff if I use it in my camper or in the bathhouse? And yes, $48 is a bargain compared to a cut-rate motel, but I brought my "motel room" with me.....

Not every RV heats water with electric. Ours uses propane so we pay for our own hot water in the RV. Not sure what the percentage of RVs using electric water heaters so the campground makes extra money if they charge for showers for me. (Which I don't mind so far, the place in NJ that we go every year costs me about .50 for a 10 minute shower-although I do think it's a bit silly because sometimes I am done with the shower and the water is still running)

7. Tallboy

Tallboy
    Expand Collapse

Luke-warm drizzle? Maybe it's time to check out the water heater and get a Oxygenics showerhead.

8. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

We have found this only in the NE. I have downgraded the score because of it. It is a real pain. I will admit I have gone into other campgrounds and seen unoccupied showers with the water running wide open. Evidently some kids think this is funny. What I hate even worse is the type that you have to hold on with one hand to keep the water coming out. It is almost a forced Navy shower. We pretty much shower in our coach and use their electricity when hooked up and propane when boondocking.

9. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

I also downgrade for pay showers. In Connecticut, a lot of the private campgrounds have pay showers -- but the state parks have free showers. The state park showers have a simple push button control. Push the button for about a minute of water, then it shuts off. Yes, you have to keep pushing the button, but it prevents needless waste of water and is free.

One campground that confused me was Acadia Park in Maine. They have running water for the bathrooms (sinks and toilets), but don't have showers.

All part of the experience!

10. Boyinks4Adventure

Boyinks4Adventure
    Expand Collapse

It's not just the NE.

We camphosted at a park in the Olympic Peninsula in WA that had coin-op showers. I had to specifically ask for my showers to be covered so got a set of colored quarters to use that I would get back every couple of days.

In that case it was pure and simple greed on the part of the owners.

11. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

yeah for the most part we don't use our camper shower, with that said can't tell you how many times I've gone up to the campground showers forgetting they were coin operated and having to trek back to the camper for my one or two quarters!...

12. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

Boyinks4Adventure, You may wish to rethink your post and edit out the comments about the owners. Not sure there are too many parks on the Olympic pennisula with coin showeres that give out colored quarters to their staff. They will easily figure out who you are and probably give a bad reference should you need one for future employment. Bashing employers on forums is almost always a bad idea.

13. B. Kidd

B. Kidd
    Expand Collapse

On the way to our central Oregon coast destination, we pulled thru one night in a park on the south coast that had coin operated showers. The park had a reasonable nightly rate with nice and clean showers that gave you 10 minutes for one quarter. Didn't mind paying as seemed reasonable.
    However, did hear from another camper that another park charged $1.25 for 7 minutes. Now, that seems excessive and greedy to me.

14. Traveling man

Traveling man
    Expand Collapse

I mostly travel in the Northwest, and Southwest, so have only seen a coin operated shower once. It was a quarter, so didn't mind too much, although admit I took twice as long of a shower since I paid for it! I guess it's what you are used to. I grew up with free air at every gas station, so when they started charging a quarter it didn't seem right. Does it really cost the park that much considering the percentage of time the showers are actually used? It just seems a little of a rip off when you are already paying $25 or more for the space, although a quarter is not a lot of money.

15. B. Kidd

B. Kidd
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jim crowl @ Jul 16 2012, 09:58 AM) [snapback]30065[/snapback]

I mostly travel in the Northwest, and Southwest, so have only seen a coin operated shower once. It was a quarter, so didn't mind too much, although admit I took twice as long of a shower since I paid for it! I guess it's what you are used to. I grew up with free air at every gas station, so when they started charging a quarter it didn't seem right. Does it really cost the park that much considering the percentage of time the showers are actually used? It just seems a little of a rip off when you are already paying $25 or more for the space, although a quarter is not a lot of money.

Most likely, when you grew up, there were alot less transient homeless out there, along with alot less irresponsible people whom leave showers running when not using them.
    Just say'in........