Driving The Rv At Night

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by mdcamping, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

When I had my cataracts done last year, my night vision actually got worse instead of better. That has put the kibosh to any night driving except in very familiar circumstances.

And for me personally, I'd like to see those halogen headlights banned. Having one come at me is actually painful to me.....feels like someone is sticking a pin in my eye.

2. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

QUOTE(Luvtheroad @ Sep 22 2014, 01:20 AM) [snapback]38394[/snapback]

And for me personally, I'd like to see those halogen headlights banned. Having one come at me is actually painful to me.....feels like someone is sticking a pin in my eye.

Yup, had one follow behind me while driving to the campground. .. Very annoying seeing those lights in my side mirrors. ...

Mike

3. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(Luvtheroad @ Sep 21 2014, 10:20 PM) [snapback]38394[/snapback]

I'm on the fence about those halogens.. I agree they are painful to look at in oncoming traffic but they are really a big improvement on the darkest nights on unlit roads.

4. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

QUOTE(Janet H @ Sep 23 2014, 07:52 PM) [snapback]38410[/snapback]

I'm on the fence about those halogens.. I agree they are painful to look at in oncoming traffic but they are really a big improvement on the darkest nights on unlit roads.

Actually, I think the lights you all are referring to are high intensity discharge (HID) xenon lamps, not halogens. Almost all incandescent auto bulbs have been halogens for many years. HIDs do provide far better illumination. However, some of the ones you are objecting to are not HIDs but are illegally installed aftermarket light bulbs that have similar color.

5. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(docj @ Sep 23 2014, 06:21 PM) [snapback]38415[/snapback]

However, some of the ones you are objecting to are not HIDs but are illegally installed aftermarket light bulbs that have similar color.

You are likely right. And while we're ranting.... another pet peeve is folks towing with misaligned headlights due to improper hitch set up. Lights pointing up don;t light the road and blind others....jus' sayin' ;)

6. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

One more Driving the Rv at night!

On our trip to Yarmouth NS via the cat ferry out of Portland ME. I had taken the precaution to print up detailed google maps of the road to the campground from the ferry. That said I was planning on using our GPS on our phones. I knew arriving at Yarmouth that it would be dark but with the campground only a few miles from the ferry so I figured no problem. Well the problem turned out that I hadn’t turned on the data points on our out of country data plan patch that we purchased for our cells. (which I did the next day) So arriving at 11pm, dead cells phones, total darkness, fog as thick as pea soup I went to plan B and used my maps. So we left the customs booth at Yarmouth and took the driving slow, did a okay job navigating the dark roads and ended up first at the campground with a few other folks coming in after us from the ferry, not to bad!

Anyone else have any driving the Rv at night stories to share?

Mike

BankShot likes this.
  7. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I'll join this one even tho it got started long before I joined this forum. A couple of years ago we were on the last leg of a trip up to Washington to visit family for Christmas. We left out last overnight stop earlier than we normally do as it was late in the year and we wanted to reach our destination before dark. As luck would have it, we got delayed due to two accidents that shut down I-5 for a total of almost three hours. Long story short we drove the last 100 miles in the dark and I was not happy about that one bit. We made it of course but we drove about 5 or so miles slower than we normally do during daylight and kept in the slow lane the entire way. I am lucky that I still have fairly good night vision but even so I find it a lot more stressful driving at night. Having to put up with the road morons during daylight is bad enough. To have to do so when you can't see them half the time is just plain awful. High beams, misaligned beams, no beams, they're all out there and they all have you in their sights because you are big and easily seen by them. But not so easy the other way around. So for us we stick to the old off the road by 3 pm, 4 pm latest, rule and I like it way mo betta that way for sure.................... :D

Let there be light, BankShot.............(aka Terry)

Paythebill and Onemoretrail like this.
  8. Monica998

Monica998
    Expand Collapse

Dear Mike, the best way is to avoid traveling at night, but in the daytime if your eyes are OK. Every people will have some problems during the night because of the darkness or the bad weather sometimes.