East Coast Parks For Leisure Biking?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by aljlsd10, Jul 3, 2010.

1. aljlsd10

aljlsd10
    Expand Collapse

Hi, I'm looking for suggestions for an RV park somewhere from Virginia on up the East coast where my family can ride our bikes in a safe, shaded, and paved or hard-packed dirt area. We are not looking to find an adventure-biking or mountain-biking aree, and we have noticed that many of the camprounds in the northeast particularly have gravel, which I don't think would work. Kids are 7/10/12 with a 1 year old in a baby seat. We would love to find a natural, scenic park with lots of shade as this will be in late July.

I'm new to RVing, but it seems to me that from the description of the parks, you can either have lots of activities like at the Jellystone / tourist area Williamsburg parks, but you are basically parked next to another RV in a parking lot with a little grass, or if you want a truly scenic location, you give up the amenties, is that the case? We did stay years ago in a log cabin in Fort Wilderness Disney, that was great...far enough apart from your neighbors but you could walk to pools, etc. Disney will be too hot in July, I wonder if that type campground exists anywhere else on the East Coast? Sorry, this is probably 2 questions in one post!

2. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

If you get up to Connecticut, you might want to check out Hammonassette State Park. Very flat, 90% of the roads / paths are paved, and right on the water - Long Island Sound. The possible negatives - no hookups (dry camping), and very little shade.

3. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

I stayed at a KOA and I am not usually a fan but this one was one of the best parks i have ever stayed at. It is in Herkima Ny it is the Herkima KOA and diamond mine. It is a nice park with paved streets and places to ride your bikes. You can also raft in the river on their property. As to bike paths, it is hard to find a bike path though I have seen hiking paths...

In Virginia the Jellystone in Natural Bridge is a great park but again you have paved roads but not really a bike path as is American Heritage in Williamsburg.

4. Sightman

Sightman
    Expand Collapse

The best campground I've gone to with bike paths is Lake George RV Park. It is located in the southern part of the Adirondack Mountains of New York. The nearest town of Lake George. Bike paved paths are through out the park. The park connects to a paved bike path that goes from Lake George to Glens Falls. About 25 miles. Other than a couple of spots the bike path does not intersect with car traffic. Campground is also a great destination for a family. In the summer the have entertainment. http://www.lakegeorgervpark.com/

5. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Bayley's in ME has the hard packed gravel, huge resort style campground, lots of kids, lots of amenities. Also near Old Orchard Beach.

There's also Salisbury Beach State Reservation in MA, flat open grid style campground with paved roads. Great beach to bike ride to, not to hot with sea breeze.

Hope this helps,
    Mike