"experience" Vs. "review"

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by gwbischoff, Jun 27, 2007.

1. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Jun 30 2007, 02:29 PM) [snapback]7520[/snapback]

BBear,

Good list. Covers everything. I had not really thought about #10 and I haven't given enough consideration to #3 and #9 in the past. I suppose that if there had really been a problem in these areas I would have noticed. I'm going to add them to my checklist. Thanks.

Thank you. :)

2. Holiday Rambling

Holiday Rambling
    Expand Collapse

:) I would like to thank you for your comments. Let's rate campgrounds/RV parks for their facilities, amenities and the like, not for pettiness. :) QUOTE(bonscott @ Jun 28 2007, 09:30 AM) [snapback]7488[/snapback]

I'll have to find that thread. I thought it pretty odd to see a recent review of a park that got a 4 out of 10. But all the "review" was, was complaining that there were too many trees and they couldn't get a satellite signal. No info on the park other then they couldn't watch their TV because of trees. Come on, that's just nuts.

3. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(T Lynn @ Jul 1 2007, 06:41 PM) [snapback]7536[/snapback]

:) I would like to thank you for your comments. Let's rate campgrounds/RV parks for their facilities, amenities and the like, not for pettiness. :) QUOTE(bonscott @ Jun 28 2007, 09:30 AM) [snapback]7488[/snapback]

I'll have to find that thread. I thought it pretty odd to see a recent review of a park that got a 4 out of 10. But all the "review" was, was complaining that there were too many trees and they couldn't get a satellite signal. No info on the park other then they couldn't watch their TV because of trees. Come on, that's just nuts.

But, I understand that review. To many folks, (not me, but others) having a place to set up a satellite is important. It is a feature of the park, just like 50A service or a swimming pool. So, I understand having that as part of a review.

"The weather was crappy so I won't stay here again" is different.

4. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

We have travelled extensively and have covered most of the states. I have put on over 150k miles in the last 5 years. I have stayed in parks that were good and bad. I will say that I had a pretty good feel for a park from a review here before staying there and the park was as thereview said. Maybe not as pretty or as loud or as small but it was in the ballpark. I knwo I have written aboutthe rain but only when the sites flood so bad that there is inches of water on them. I think people should know that. We were in Normandy Farms last May and the weatrher was awful and the sites flooded and they had only one warm day and they had weak power so i wrote it all out. If you have 3 inches of water on your site or you have 108 volts and the Power Management system is tripping you should put it in the review. We stayed at blackwells in ID and they had writeups on the saw mill. Now I am not in a tent sided unit and we did not hear in in the motorhome or in the site very loud. The road noise was a bit louder.. It is a campground in a city and you will get road noise so we were ok with it and would go back for the convience it offers not for the fact it is a scenic park or a wonderful place to stay with loads to do. I have written on Luray VA and COuntry Waye park. It is a lovely park and has great views and is an adult destination. I agree that you should not put in your experience as the sole critera but to know whether you had a good time or not is important and if you would go back. I am at the West Yellowstone KOA and I had to complain to the management for the first time ever. There was a dog or a couple of dogs left alone in a trailer all day and night and all they did was bark bark bark never stopping. DOes that hurt our stay hee yes. We have dogs and they all will bark at times but not consistently and over and over all day and nite. I complained to the management and they said they were aware of it. Now aware and fixing it are two seperate things. I will say that I will give them today to fix it and understand that they are going to try so we will see. So experiences do affect your stay as much as the management taking care of the problems theat arise.

5. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

Ten things Wish List in no particular order of preference:

50A service with good voltage and water pressure.
    At lest, partial shading on sites, but none over access roads that rub on the rig
    Level sites, level sites, and level sites
    Ample spacing between sites
    Quiet and more quiet
    Picnic table on site
    Pull thru or easy access back in
    Clean bathhouse facilities
    Free wi-fi
    A staff and owners that cultivates happy customers and takes some pride in the C/G

If one gets the last, it is probable that the first nine will fall in line.

6. HorizonQueen

HorizonQueen
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(BBear @ Jun 30 2007, 12:39 PM) [snapback]7519[/snapback]

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Jun 30 2007, 11:52 AM) [snapback]7515[/snapback]

Also I am interested in the 10 things you look for in a park. Care to share?

The 10 things I look for are: (1)Treatment by the staff (2)Overall appearance of the entire campground (3)Security (4)Appearance of campsite (5)Size of campsite (6)Roads and access conditions (7)Amenities of the campground (8)Restroom conditions (9)How the campground enforces their own policies and rules (10) Beyond or Below expectations...meaning was there something about this campground that made it better than expected or worse than expected.

QUOTE(RLM @ Jul 7 2007, 12:39 PM) [snapback]7633[/snapback]

Ten things Wish List in no particular order of preference:

50A service with good voltage and water pressure.
    At lest, partial shading on sites, but none over access roads that rub on the rig
    Level sites, level sites, and level sites
    Ample spacing between sites
    Quiet and more quiet
    Picnic table on site
    Pull thru or easy access back in
    Clean bathhouse facilities
    Free wi-fi
    A staff and owners that cultivates happy customers and takes some pride in the C/G

If one gets the last, it is probable that the first nine will fall in line.

Excellent lists!
    I like to include the "Is everything up to Snuff" test. Meaning: How does the CG or Park smell? How does the area of campsite smell? How does the bathhouse smell? Laundry room smell? Etc... I stayed at a RV Park in CO springs (still waiting for review to show up) and found they parked us on a broken sewer line which management later admitted was a case of "delayed maitenance". Bathhouse had the mold smell, too.

We should use all our senses when reviewing the Parks and Grounds where we stay. ;)

7. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RLM @ Jun 29 2007, 07:33 AM) [snapback]7502[/snapback]

Webmaster, in addition to your instructions on submitting a review, I would respectfully suggest that it might be helpful for reviewers to be able to read what a good one looks like. Pick one or two and display them prominently.

One place I post reviews has "featured" reviews section. The "featured" review shows what they are looking for. I hate to brag, but one of mine made the "featured reviews" list. However, it was posted as "anonymous" because that web site does allow "anonymous" reviews. I started "signing" my reviews (by logging on!) after that happened! If my review is going to be "featured," I WANT CREDIT! (On that particular "featured" review, I had commented that the "pull throughs" were shaped in a steep "half circle" and I had to "bend" my RV to fit! I think they got a chuckle out of "bending" my RV!!!) :lol:

JJ

8. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I apologize for "bragging," but at another place I post reviews, one of mine just got selected as "review of the day." for October 20. It was a place I stayed at last June. I found out because I stumbled on it. They didn't email me or anything.

Might be nice if Webmaster could maybe show what they consider a "good" review, to help us make reviews here. Gotta admit, this site is COMPREHENSIVE for reviews. Makes me consider stuff I normally don't care about.

JJ

9. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(BBear @ Jun 30 2007, 12:39 PM) [snapback]7519[/snapback]

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Jun 30 2007, 11:52 AM) [snapback]7515[/snapback]

Also I am interested in the 10 things you look for in a park. Care to share?

The 10 things I look for are: (1)Treatment by the staff (2)Overall appearance of the entire campground (3)Security (4)Appearance of campsite (5)Size of campsite (6)Roads and access conditions (7)Amenities of the campground (8)Restroom conditions (9)How the campground enforces their own policies and rules (10) Beyond or Below expectations...meaning was there something about this campground that made it better than expected or worse than expected.

I'd be interested to know if these things that you've listed are in order of importance to you.

It's interesting how different we all are, because, for me, treatment by the staff is way down on the list. In fact, if I don't see any of the staff, I consider it a good thing. Sorta' like the Police. If I don't have the Police visiting me on a regular basis, I consider that a good sign.

That's just me, but I can see the merits of your list.

10. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I was a part of the original discussion that prompted BBear to share his list. At the time I did not take it to be in order of importance. However, based on the number of complaints about rudeness and/or incompetence that are found in reviews I would think a lot of people do consider how they are treated by the campground staff to be very important. I thought this item referred to how the staff treats you at check in and how they respond to your needs. We all know that people can be everything from polite to down right nasty. I agree that we do not want the staff to constantly bother us or keep an eye on us, but we do want them to be accessible and to try to accommodate our needs in a friendly professional manner. Now that is what I thought BBear meant. If I'm wrong, BBear, please feel free to correct me. I still think you have a good list.

11. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Oct 22 2007, 11:45 PM) [snapback]8769[/snapback]

I was a part of the original discussion that prompted BBear to share his list. At the time I did not take it to be in order of importance. However, based on the number of complaints about rudeness and/or incompetence that are found in reviews I would think a lot of people do consider how they are treated by the campground staff to be very important. I thought this item referred to how the staff treats you at check in and how they respond to your needs. We all know that people can be everything from polite to down right nasty. I agree that we do not want the staff to constantly bother us or keep an eye on us, but we do want them to be accessible and to try to accommodate our needs in a friendly professional manner. Now that is what I thought BBear meant. If I'm wrong, BBear, please feel free to correct me. I still think you have a good list.

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't being critical as to whether that should be there or not. I was merely commenting on how different we all are when we're looking at campsites.

12. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I didn't think you were being critical. I just wanted to comment that staff courtesy does seem to be something that is mentioned in a lot of reviews--especially if the staff is not courteous.

This is off the topic, but I hope you are ok and not near the fires.

13. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Oct 23 2007, 06:37 PM) [snapback]8787[/snapback]

I didn't think you were being critical. I just wanted to comment that staff courtesy does seem to be something that is mentioned in a lot of reviews--especially if the staff is not courteous.

This is off the topic, but I hope you are ok and not near the fires.

Thanks for the thought.

Unless they figure out how to get concrete to burn, we'll be ok. We live in the heart of LA county so we're pretty safe, but we do have all of the smoke and ash to contend with.

The kids sports activities at school have all been cancelled and my car looked like somebody dumped a barbecue on it this morning.

It's a shame because it is burning some wonderful camping areas. Not to mention peoples homes.

Thanks again for your concern. The winds are *supposed* to die down today or tomorrow.