Heat Dishes

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by DXSMac, Dec 29, 2007.

1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I am trying out the Presto "Heat Dish" that is sold at Costco. The good thing is, it uses only 1100 watts as opposed to a space heater which takes up 1500 watts. The way it works is..... instead of heating the air, it heats only "things" (including people). It is supposed to "bounce off" things or people, not the air.

Here is my assessment, if anyone is interested.

Works great for temperatures down to the 40's. Can get by with it. If temps drop below 40's, doesn't work so great. Ok, it works, but let's just say..... you will find yourself sitting right next to the thing to keep warm. Need the ceramic space heater, or turn on your furnace when it drops to 30's and below.

So, if you are carrying both a space heater and the dish, the dish will take up some space, especially if you keep the carton for storage (which I usually do). My space heater is small, in a small carton, not bad for storage, but puts out good heat when I need it.

On the other hand, if you use only a space heater, well, from continued use, you may wear them out. In four years, I'm on my second space heater (not counting the heat dish).

JJ

2. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

I picked up two radiant type fan assisted heaters at Walmart in Minot. Price 20.00 including taxes. I'm using them tonight. Temp outside is 8 F (-11 C) and temp in RV is a toasty 70 F (21 C).

They each do 1320 watts--I've not checked them yet with my Kilowatt meter. After running one for over two hours the bottom plate on it was still cool to the touch.

They produce a nice red/amber glow too--rather like live coals in a fire pit.

3. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Dec 29 2007, 09:28 PM) [snapback]9694[/snapback]

Hi,

I picked up two radiant type fan assisted heaters at Walmart in Minot. Price 20.00 including taxes. I'm using them tonight. Temp outside is 8 F (-11 C) and temp in RV is a toasty 70 F (21 C).

They each do 1320 watts--I've not checked them yet with my Kilowatt meter. After running one for over two hours the bottom plate on it was still cool to the touch.

Wow! I'll have to check those out! Even when I run a space heater full blast, I can only get the temp in my RV to be a toasty 64. I can't ever get it to 70 inside.

JJ

4. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

I'm back home now and have used my "Kilowatt" meter to check out the two heaters. They draw 1149 and 1153 watts maximum. The brand name is Lakewood. They have a thermostat. Any color you want so long as it is white. Dimensions 6" x 9" x 14"

You may not get the same results--I only have a medium size Class C RV--but it is Canadian built--so is designed for cool weather--dual pane windows and heated basement.

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Dec 30 2007, 10:42 AM) [snapback]9696[/snapback]

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Dec 29 2007, 09:28 PM) [snapback]9694[/snapback]

Hi,

Wow! I'll have to check those out! Even when I run a space heater full blast, I can only get the temp in my RV to be a toasty 64. I can't ever get it to 70 inside.

JJ

5. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

6. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse