High Fees Plus Deposit Plus Electric!

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by abbygolden, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

There is still an Albertson's in New Braunfels, TX, and maybe some in Austin. There are also some Kroger's here and there--some in College Station, I think.I haven't seen a Safeway in Texas in years, but I think there are some Randall's in Austin (aren't they affiliated with Safeway somehow?). Other than that, it is pretty much HEB (or WalMart).

PS It is 66 degrees here, too. It's just that the numbers are upside down.

2. dbnck

dbnck
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(abbygolden @ Jul 18 2011, 09:37 AM) [snapback]26826[/snapback]

I didn't realize any defense was needed, and, read #3 above. I don't care any more about this topic but I can gaurantee you that you can take any credit card other than a HEB one into HEB to shop and not get a grocery card from them back. Call it what you want, but to me that is just another loyalty card, perhaps clothed in a credit card cloak. My intent when responding to this subject was to set the story straight that some employees didn't know the whole story and there may be some snowbirds who would be interested in saving some money by getting a grocery card back after spending "x" amount over the winter.

The HEB credit card is just like any number of other rewards cards out there, but more restrictive in that the "reward" can be used only at HEB. If a snowbird doesn't go back to south Texas for some reason, then he can't use the reward.

My credit card gives me up to 1.35% "cash" back--on the January statement, they give me a credit for the previous year's activity. Something like that would be a much better deal for someone who travels a lot.

QUOTE(Tweetie13 @ Jul 17 2011, 10:20 PM) [snapback]26822[/snapback]

3) Some sad news for you...I don't know how we managed to do it, but when I checked my sales receipt from HEB, I found I had saved $1.72 in "OUR BRAND SAVINGS" and $2.83 in "ON SALE SAVINGS". So, alas, items do go on sale at HEB...

Oh yes, HEB does put things on sale, but you don't have to have a loyalty card to get that price. They circle your savings just like they do at places with loyalty cards, which is kind of lame because you didn't have to do anything special to get that price.

One kind of jinky thing they do is have in-store coupons for stuff, which are always hanging right by the item so it's kind of stupid. Good advertising for the item, I guess, but bad for people who don't like coupons (and I don't blame those people for not liking them, even though I use them).

HEB also frequently pimps their house brands by giving them free if you buy the national brand, like if you buy Doritos, you get a free bag of HEB chips IF you use the coupon that's hanging there. Or they have a coupon with this big complicated list, where you get a free bag salad and HEB shredded cheese if you buy a pound of ground beef and a jar of spaghetti sauce and a package of spaghetti. Probably good savings, but requiring precision work.

But at HEB, if you see a shelf tag that says "Sale $.99" you know you can buy it for $.99, no card required.

And now that I think about it, the Meijer chain up in Illinois/Michigan--not sure where all in that area--doesn't use loyalty cards, either. Gigantic stores, more like a Walmart than a grocery store.

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Jul 18 2011, 10:29 AM) [snapback]26827[/snapback]

There is still an Albertson's in New Braunfels, TX, and maybe some in Austin. There are also some Kroger's here and there--some in College Station, I think.I haven't seen a Safeway in Texas in years, but I think there are some Randall's in Austin (aren't they affiliated with Safeway somehow?). Other than that, it is pretty much HEB (or WalMart).

Albertson's left Austin several years ago. Randall's is Safeway, and they're in Austin--a much more civilized shopping experience than HEB, but way more expensive.

HEB started in South Texas and is inching its way north. Kroger and HEB are in Houston; Kroger and Randalls/Tom Thumb are in Dallas.

It's complicated to keep track of who owns which store, but vital to fulltimers who want to have "only" 10 or so loyalty cards.

QUOTE(Tweetie13 @ Jul 17 2011, 10:20 PM) [snapback]26822[/snapback]

4) I enjoyed reading of your experience at HEB in Corpus. What a hoot! Hot dogs with no mustard??? Eeeeeeuuuwwww...hopefully they were on sale..

I think I could take a hot dog without mustard if it were cooked. But raw? In public?

The worst part is that my friend who saw it is from Colorado, which is the only state in the union with an obesity rate less than 20%. So his report was tinged with judgment and I found it hard to mount a rousing defense of my fellow Texan.

One night at that HEB, they had the sprinklers on but the incessant wind was blowing the water all over the pavement. I purposely drove through it to try to rinse some of the salt off my car, and circled around to get the other side. My boyfriend was totally embarrassed, and then I pointed out somebody who was doing the same thing under another sprinkler. Not that the behavior at a Corpus HEB should be any kind of a standard, of course.

But I have found fewer soiled diapers in this parking lot than the Walmart, so there is that.

3. chowhound

chowhound
    Expand Collapse

Tweetie, thanks for the detailed report. As a native Texan, I have spent many dollars at HEB and have inquired on numerous occaisions as to the existance of loyalty cards similar to Kroger or Randall's (Safeway) and they don't have them, hearing about loyalty cards in Waco is news to me. So I continue to buy groceries (meat and produce from HEB, staples and packaged goods from Walmart and gas from Kroger (loyalty discount).

4. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(chowhound @ Jul 23 2011, 01:50 AM) [snapback]26891[/snapback]

Tweetie, thanks for the detailed report. As a native Texan, I have spent many dollars at HEB and have inquired on numerous occaisions as to the existance of loyalty cards similar to Kroger or Randall's (Safeway) and they don't have them, hearing about loyalty cards in Waco is news to me. So I continue to buy groceries (meat and produce from HEB, staples and packaged goods from Walmart and gas from Kroger (loyalty discount).

Every cashier line and every pump should have the application form for the HEB credit card. Read the directions on the application and it will tell you how to redeem your points for a grocery card. You will also get $.03 discount on your gas per gallon. Like you, I do all my shopping for fresh vegetables and meat at HEB and anything prepackaged at WalMart or a similar type store. I get my gas from HEB because they are close and the cheapest (or nearly so) in a town of 50,000.

Even Waco isn't that behind times that they don't offer this! :D Oh wait a second, we are talking about Waco. I forgot.

5. Tweetie13

Tweetie13
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(abbygolden @ Jul 23 2011, 11:21 AM) [snapback]26901[/snapback]

Every cashier line and every pump should have the application form for the HEB credit card. Read the directions on the application and it will tell you how to redeem your points for a grocery card. You will also get $.03 discount on your gas per gallon. Like you, I do all my shopping for fresh vegetables and meat at HEB and anything prepackaged at WalMart or a similar type store. I get my gas from HEB because they are close and the cheapest (or nearly so) in a town of 50,000.

Even Waco isn't that behind times that they don't offer this! :D Oh wait a second, we are talking about Waco. I forgot.

I grew up in the very wet Great Northwest and am well acquainted with Fred Meyer, Safeway, Albertson's, Thriftway, QFC and Trader Joe's. I've been a coupon clipper for most of my life, and every week I would haul my 2 reluctant children to wherever the sales were. As the single parent of children who grew like weeds, I needed to spend my dollars wisely. Each store had its own brand and sometimes I would buy them. Most of the time I went with the national brands, especially if they were on sale. Thanks goodness all we have to do at Safeway, QFC and Albertson's now is to input our phone number at the check out to get in on the store sales! No more carrying all of those annoying little key chain cards!

When making purchases (including having my utilities and as many other expenses possible automatically debited from my card), I choose to use my airline credit card. Not only do I have a monthly itemized statement of my expenses (which are paid in full every month), but I get to fly back and forth to Europe every once in a while. I like that!

No matter what rewards card, credit card, or loyalty card you use, it all ends up being a personal choice. What works for one person may not work as well for another.

I'm in Springfield, MO doing some family research and spoke with my sister who lives in University Place (just south of Tacoma, WA). Looks like it hit 89 degrees in Seattle yesterday...I appears as though the dismal, wet, grey, cold spring and summer weather has decided to cooperate and let the sun shine for a while. Trust me...it will ONLY be for a while. Enjoy it while you can. Remember, we Washingtonians don't tan, we rust...

Tomorrow we are off to Fort Wayne, IN and the wonderful Allen County Library, holder of the second largest genealogical reference collections in the United States (after Salt Lake City). I will be looking up dead people, and my husband will be golfing. Sounds fair...

Have a great day!

6. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

I find it incredible that we have been on the Oregon coast for almost two months and the high has been 66! There has been very little rain as well. I picked a good year not to be home for the summer.

7. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

Just as a follow-on to my original post, the new owner of the park in which I'm staying has removed the requirement for a deposit for those who are staying less than six months. I have no problem with this.