I 80 West Question

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by A.E.Michell, Apr 5, 2009.

1. A.E.Michell

A.E.Michell
    Expand Collapse

Hi! Would appreciate any and all info regarding travel on I 80 west from Omaha,Nebraska to Sacramento,Ca. How are the elevations and with the weather in May how will the road conditions be? We are a 40 ft. class A diesel with a Toad. Have noticed there are not many Rv parks reviewd on this route and any suddestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(A.E.Michell @ Apr 5 2009, 06:12 PM) [snapback]15749[/snapback]

Hi! Would appreciate any and all info regarding travel on I 80 west from Omaha,Nebraska to Sacramento,Ca. How are the elevations and with the weather in May how will the road conditions be? We are a 40 ft. class A diesel with a Toad. Have noticed there are not many Rv parks reviewd on this route and any suddestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Be sure you shut off your propane tank the day you go through Eisenhower Tunnel in Colorado. It's one LOOONNNGGGGG tunnel. Or maybe someone has updated info that you don't need to do that?

JJ

3. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

JJ,

I think the Eisenhower tunnel is on I-70 and I do not remember any problems over propane. The tunnel is 5.5 miles long if I remember right. I-80 is north at Cheyenne. ;)

4. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

5. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

I guess some should look at a map before answering. Dose this come from over use of a gps?
    Omah to Cheyenne is very flat, can some times have wind problems.
    Cheyenne to Salt Lake has a couple long grades, but are really no problem. Possible to see some ice and snow in May at higher elevations.
    Salt Lake to Reno is an easy drive.
    Reno west has some long grades but you should'nt have a problem.
    We also have a 40ft MH and tow a GMC pickup. Cheyenne has a number of Camp grounds . As dose Reno.

6. A.E.Michell

A.E.Michell
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Big Ben @ Apr 6 2009, 01:39 AM) [snapback]15757[/snapback]

I guess some should look at a map before answering. Dose this come from over use of a gps?
    Omah to Cheyenne is very flat, can some times have wind problems.
    Cheyenne to Salt Lake has a couple long grades, but are really no problem. Possible to see some ice and snow in May at higher elevations.
    Salt Lake to Reno is an easy drive.
    Reno west has some long grades but you should'nt have a problem.
    We also have a 40ft MH and tow a GMC pickup. Cheyenne has a number of Camp grounds . As dose Reno.

Thanks Big Ben...I hope the snow is NOT on the roads as we are from Florida! Now that would be an interesting trip.

7. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

My bad, and yes, I should have looked at a map. I just remember being in Colorado at one time and going through the Eisenhower tunnel. Thought it was on I-80.

JJ

8. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Apr 5 2009, 07:38 PM) [snapback]15750[/snapback]

Be sure you shut off your propane tank the day you go through Eisenhower Tunnel in Colorado. It's one LOOONNNGGGGG tunnel. Or maybe someone has updated info that you don't need to do that?

JJ

There was no signage regarding propane when went through that tunnel. That was in October 2005.

9. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

A.E.,

I agree with those who have said driving I-80 from Omaha to Sacramento should not be a problem. I have done most of the stretch from Wells, NV to Omaha in the last 2 years and only remember a significant climb eastbound from Salt Lake City (4300') to the WY border (6700'). You, of course, will be going west and dropping 2400'. You gain about 3000' crossing the 450 miles of I-80 east to west in NE so you never really notice it. From western NE to Cheyenne you gain about 2000+' the last 50-100 miles. Again, no big deal. As you cross the 400 miles of WY, your almost always between 6500' and 7500' so there is some up and down by no big climbs. I've already mentioned that you "drop" from WY into Salt Lake City as you cross the Wasatch Range. From SLC to the Nevada border is vey flat. From Wendover on the UT/NV border the road is a lot more up and down than WY. There will be a few 1-2,000' climbs the eastern 200 miles of of I-80. The last 200 miles to Reno don't look bad. You're on your own from Reno to Sacremento.

At first I thought your comment about the lack of reviewed parks on I-80 was strange. Then I realized that you are from Florida where it is hard to go 10-15 miles without being within a stone's throw of an RV park. While you don't have that kind of RV park density on I-80, there are towns with decent parks every 100-150 miles or so: Lincoln, Grand Island, North Platte, Ogallala, Sidney, and Kimball, NE; Cheyenne, Laramie, Rawlins, Rock Springs, Green River, and Evanston, WY. West of Salt Lake City the pickings are a bit slimmer until you get to Reno. Remember, you are not going to find the big, lush RV resorts like you have in FL.
    Obviously, some of these parks are better than others - check the reviews.

By May the snows should be over as far south as I-80 but you can never be sure. Enjoy the planning and have great trip.

10. A.E.Michell

A.E.Michell
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Apr 6 2009, 08:02 PM) [snapback]15768[/snapback]

A.E.,

I agree with those who have said driving I-80 from Omaha to Sacramento should not be a problem. I have done most of the stretch from Wells, NV to Omaha in the last 2 years and only remember a significant climb eastbound from Salt Lake City (4300') to the WY border (6700'). You, of course, will be going west and dropping 2400'. You gain about 3000' crossing the 450 miles of I-80 east to west in NE so you never really notice it. From western NE to Cheyenne you gain about 2000+' the last 50-100 miles. Again, no big deal. As you cross the 400 miles of WY, your almost always between 6500' and 7500' so there is some up and down by no big climbs. I've already mentioned that you "drop" from WY into Salt Lake City as you cross the Wasatch Range. From SLC to the Nevada border is vey flat. From Wendover on the UT/NV border the road is a lot more up and down than WY. There will be a few 1-2,000' climbs the eastern 200 miles of of I-80. The last 200 miles to Reno don't look bad. You're on your own from Reno to Sacremento.

At first I thought your comment about the lack of reviewed parks on I-80 was strange. Then I realized that you are from Florida where it is hard to go 10-15 miles without being within a stone's throw of an RV park. While you don't have that kind of RV park density on I-80, there are towns with decent parks every 100-150 miles or so: Lincoln, Grand Island, North Platte, Ogallala, Sidney, and Kimball, NE; Cheyenne, Laramie, Rawlins, Rock Springs, Green River, and Evanston, WY. West of Salt Lake City the pickings are a bit slimmer until you get to Reno. Remember, you are not going to find the big, lush RV resorts like you have in FL.
    Obviously, some of these parks are better than others - check the reviews.

By May the snows should be over as far south as I-80 but you can never be sure. Enjoy the planning and have great trip.

Thanks for the great info..yes we have RV parks here on pretty much every other corner ...Ha! so I did notice they are not that way in the great west but we will make due with overnight stays.. Thanks again...

11. BJS

BJS
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(A.E.Michell @ Apr 5 2009, 05:12 PM) [snapback]15749[/snapback]

You will have a climb from Truckee, CA (Elevation: 5840 feet) over Donner Summit (Elevation 7,085 ft.) and a decent down the other side of the Sierras. The highway is marked with the percent of down hill grade so watch for these signe. We have seen snow fall on this section of I-80 even in July. The road is usually in good condition but there is a lot of truck traffic.

We have traveled from west to east coast on I-80 several times without any problems. We plan our days drive based on where the RV parks are located rather than start out in the morning not having any idea of where to stay that evening. We have never had a problem finding an RV Park within an easy day's driving distance but there can be many miles inbetween them.