Loose Steering On Winnebago

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by happyscampers, Jun 3, 2011.

1. happyscampers

happyscampers
    Expand Collapse

Anyone have experience with loose steering on Ford chassis motorhomes? We have a brand-new 2011 Winnebago Vista and steering has what Motorhome Magazine calls a "dumb" steering sensation. Anyone know how to fix? Many thanks in advance.

2. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

We have a Ford chassis motorhome, but have no idea of what you mean? We have had ours since the V-10 version first came out and there surly could be some improvements to it as the front axle is very stiff. Some versions of the chassis have been improved by addition of a track bar. Better shocks are also helpful, which is what we did with ours.

It is also very important that the tires be properly inflated based upon inflation tables for the tire, matched to your axle weights. Another possible issue could be overloading.

More information is needed to be able to do more than just guess at what your problem really is? How is the wheelbase ratio?

3. happyscampers

happyscampers
    Expand Collapse

Motorhome Magazine used the terms "dumb" or "numb" to refer to this condition. It'w when you have to oversteer your motorhome -- sort of like driving an old-time car. It must be fairly common as Camping World sells a number of products to correct this. It's a brand-new 2011 26' Winnebago Vista -- tires peoperly inflated, not overloaded and don't know what the wheelbase ratio is. I might add we went from a truck and trailer to this and it's our first motorhome.

QUOTE(Kirk @ Jun 7 2011, 07:58 PM) [snapback]26356[/snapback]

We have a Ford chassis motorhome, but have no idea of what you mean? We have had ours since the V-10 version first came out and there surly could be some improvements to it as the front axle is very stiff. Some versions of the chassis have been improved by addition of a track bar. Better shocks are also helpful, which is what we did with ours.

It is also very important that the tires be properly inflated based upon inflation tables for the tire, matched to your axle weights. Another possible issue could be overloading.

More information is needed to be able to do more than just guess at what your problem really is? How is the wheelbase ratio?

4. vincee

vincee
    Expand Collapse

happcampers, I have a 2000 Tiffin Motorhome on a Ford V10 chassis. If you have ever driven another Ford truck, from older pick ups to todays motor homes, that seems to be an inherent problem for Ford. I had a front end alignment last year where they have to heat and bend the front axle and it made a world of difference! Don't know how many times I've said to my wife "I should've done this sooner". What would also help is a steering dampener. Camping World has a nice selection of them at reasonable prices and they will install also. I did this with a Ford pick up I once had and again, world of difference. Maybe you can get the dealer to do something for you "gratis" since you just shelled out some big dollars for you unit. Good Luck!

5. happyscampers

happyscampers
    Expand Collapse

Vincee: Really appreciate your input and will look into your suggestions. Many thanks!

QUOTE(vincee @ Jun 10 2011, 03:36 PM) [snapback]26382[/snapback]

happcampers, I have a 2000 Tiffin Motorhome on a Ford V10 chassis. If you have ever driven another Ford truck, from older pick ups to todays motor homes, that seems to be an inherent problem for Ford. I had a front end alignment last year where they have to heat and bend the front axle and it made a world of difference! Don't know how many times I've said to my wife "I should've done this sooner". What would also help is a steering dampener. Camping World has a nice selection of them at reasonable prices and they will install also. I did this with a Ford pick up I once had and again, world of difference. Maybe you can get the dealer to do something for you "gratis" since you just shelled out some big dollars for you unit. Good Luck!