Newby Snobirds

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by FosterImposters, Nov 30, 2007.

1. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Would love to hear from folks: pros and cons of places you have stayed for the winters. Recently discovered this website and have submitted reviews of campgrounds/resorts we've enjoyed during our first year as fulltimers. Was hopeful to get a string going of 'best places to spend a winter'. How long did you stay? Would you return? Words of wisdom are most appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Yikes...the silence is deafening. :lol: Ok, let me clarify. BESIDES Arizona and Florida. Anyone overwintered in southern New Mexico or Arkansas or ? Seems there are at least a couple folks here from the Texas persuasion. Any recomendations that won't cost arm/leg to hook-up for a couple months til the ice-storms pass us by?

Satillite and air-card covered. 50 amp hook-up and water/sewer preferred.
    Aging Boomers looking to escape the crowds/cost of living in good ole southern california.
    B)

3. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

Ok, I'll jump in here even tho I don't do the snowbird thing because I'm full time.

Since I'm from Texas, I have a bias for the state. Many snowbirds head to the southern tip of Texas around Harlingen. I personally would stop heading south somewhere around San Antonio. It's arguably a better place to be to have things to do. The temps may drop below 50 once or twice during heart of the winter, but typical is in the low 60s.

I have a friend who winters in Jacksonville, FL area and likes that area. He puts up with somewhat cooler temps on occassion, but likes the idea of being near both GA and SC if he wants to do some short travel.

4. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

--------------------------
    RLM: Ok, I'll jump in here even tho I don't do the snowbird thing because I'm full time. --------------------------

Thanks RLM. Perhaps I use the term 'snowbird' incorrectly. :blink: We're new fulltimers, looking to explore beyond the nest where all the adult kids (and grandkids) reside. Used to weekend warrior up the California coast and out thru Arizona back when we had Mon-Fri desk jobs. Last year at this time was consumed w/ house selling, trading up RV for fulltiming. Spent most of year in/around Anza Borrego Desert and Inland Empire area southeast of LA so we were close enough to dart back for paper-signing, etc.

Spent year roaming around mid-west, then back to southern Ca for Thanksgiving/Christmas w/kids. Found a place in Hemet, CA which caters to longer-term 'camping' so we don't have to move every week. (will post review)
    --------------------------

RLM: Since I'm from Texas, I have a bias for the state. Many snowbirds head to the southern tip of Texas around Harlingen. I personally would stop heading south somewhere around San Antonio. It's arguably a better place to be to have things to do. The temps may drop below 50 once or twice during heart of the winter, but typical is in the low 60s.
    ---------------------------

Like the sound of San Antonio...thanks! Hmmm...could generally follow I-10 out of california, taking in the history as we go. I'm a big wimp as far as driving in ice-storms, blinding snow, and high winds...one of the reasons we stayed put last year.
    ---------------------------

RLM: I have a friend who winters in Jacksonville, FL area and likes that area. He puts up with somewhat cooler temps on occassion, but likes the idea of being near both GA and SC if he wants to do some short travel.
    ----------------------------

Is Florida absolutely packed over the winters? Neither of us are fond of crowds: been-there, done-that in past lives...

Thanks again RLM for your time to respond. B) Foster I's

5. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

Not a snowbird or a full timer, but there are a ton of really nice parks in Fla. the farther south you go, the more expensive. The closer to the ocean, the more expensive. Just got back from Lake Okeechobee and talked to alot of people who were going to be there for the winter and they were paying less than a $1000/mo for their sites. They seemed happy. Lots of activities.

6. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

If you are interested in Texas I agree with RLM that the San Antonio area is very nice. Lots to see and do. There are several rv parks listed for SA on this website. Also use the "campground search" feature to check out places in the nearby towns as I know there are several parks just outside of SA. Look at the Texas 281 RV Park listed under Bulverde. We lived there for 6 mo. about 4 years ago. It does not have a lot of amenities, but it was quiet and well cared for. There is another place in Spring Branch, TX, that is fairly new called Spring Branch RV Resort. We have not stayed there, but it looks nice from the road. I did meet the owners, and they were very friendly.

If you want to go to the coast I just read a review for a new rv resort in Rockport, TX, called Coastal Oaks RV Resort. It is currently listed with the new reviews on the Home page. I have never been there, but the review sounded good and the pictures looked very nice. You might check it out. I do know that the Rockport area is a nice place to winter. Even the whooping cranes choose it as their winter home.

Hope this gives you some ideas, and let me know if you want more info.

7. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Oh this is excelent! Thanks Bud and TexasRvers for your feedback. We did an 'about-face' from original plan of working up I-5 north into Oregon after watching all h#$$ break loose in the weather department.

8. stonybirch

stonybirch
    Expand Collapse

We've been doing the 'snowbird' thing for about 4 yrs now. Have stayed in FL, TX, NM. Florida is much too busy for us and too expensive for our tastes. We love NM--but it does snow in many areas, especially in the northern mountains. Last year we visited NM again, but in March and had beautiful weather in the southern and central areas. We did get caught in 'white out' conditions in late March when heading home thru Colorado. We are going back to the southern tip TX again this year. We plan on staying put for about 2 1/2 months. The area is busy, too. But we have friends and family within driving distance and day trips are no problem. We plan to search out different parks to check on for future winter stays. Would like to find something a little further out. Guess it just depends on what you are looking for in an RV park. Have a great winter! ;)

9. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Stony B. We're southern CA 'equity refugees' cruising around looking at potential places to reset some roots. Although our grown kids are all here...CA has gotten too expensive, crazy and crowded for us. Looking for winter (warmish) refuge and a summer (perhaps NW coastal) spot to settle. Enjoying the 'gypsy RV' roving more than we anticipated.

Love the wide open spaces. However, too old/soft to return to our youth: backpacking, tents, pit toilets and wrestling dinner from campfires. Sort of loners: don't need the clubhouse, golf course and swimming pools; but rather enjoy local communities, clear view of satelite TV, cel phone/air card reception and cooking. Of course all this needs 30/50amps to power. ;)

Not sure yet what we're going to do now that we're all grown up...but enjoying the search.
    Thanks again for sharing your experiences. Cheers!

10. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

Foster> Being a die-hard golfer, I’ll let the comment about not needing the golf course slide this once.

I have been in all of the states, on a repeat basis, that I am going to comment on.

Sorry, Californians, but your state sucks. And there are hundreds of reasons to say that. Oregon is an absolute marvel for beautiful scenery and RV campgrounds, but not necessarily a place to winter. Arizona is ok depending on the location. The farther south the better. New Mexico is almost as nice as Texas…that from a biased native Texan is a real compliment to NM. Parump, Nevada is a nice snowbird location, but the folks there are typically really senior citizens. No disrespect intended, because my dad lives there and I may actually be one. Florida probably has the best and most consentient weather conditions for snow birding, but it is expensive. If I were going to snow bird in FL it would be the Tampa area.

Texas is really - as advertised - “ a whole nother country.” There is always something going on that you can enjoy or participate in. We’ll even accept someone from California without getting out the hanging rope as long as you don’t’ ask for a latte coffee. :D

The nice thing about being in a RV is that it has wheels on it. If you aren’t satisfied with a particular location you have the luxury of moving to another.

11. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RLM @ Dec 12 2007, 10:50 PM) [snapback]9454[/snapback]

Sorry, Californians, but your state sucks.

Welll that didn't come out right so let me take my big foot out of my mouth and apologize to those in CA . What I meant was that it isn't the typical winter snowbird destination for those not on the west coast. San Diego is one of my favorite places to visit. Convenient to a lot of places to go and things to do. One can spend a couple weeks there and still not be able to get it all in.

Does anyone know if the Roy Roger's museum is still in Victorville?

12. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

-------------------------------
    'RLM' post='9454' date='Dec 12 2007:

Sorry, Californians, but your state sucks...
    Well that didn't come out right so let me take my big foot out of my mouth and apologize..
    ---------------------------------

Now that was funny...don't go getting nervous on me. Not all Californians are litigious. :ph34r: Met my native DH out here, but I'm a transplant...as are most. As for the sucking part...don't believe everything you read coming out of the big three city news machines (SD, LA or SF). The coast could fall off and you'd hear a big sigh of relief from the rest of us. :rolleyes:

As for the Victorville Roy Rogers Museum: couple years ago they closed up shop and moved everything to Branson, Missouri

Foster I's

13. Parkview

Parkview
    Expand Collapse

:D

Full disclosure up front. I enthusiastically recommend the park I built and own, Parkview Riverside RV Park on the Frio River, 90 miles west of San Antonio, in the beautiful Texas Hill Country. Winter Travellers special, pay for 2 months, receive a 3rd month free. Check reviews on this site under Concan, Texas. Take a virtual tour and enjoy a slide show at our website, www.ParkviewRiversideRV.com.

I was browsing the forum and just couldn't resist. Mery Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! Doug :D

14. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Parkview for the link. Will check it out.

Weather Underground (www.wunderground.com) currently notes wind advisories and lows in high 20's for next couple days...brrrr! :unsure:

Are you fulltime in the Tiffin Phaeton noted in your bio? Windchill plus 27 degrees calls for serious alcohal 'antifreeze' for the inhabitants of this rig... :p

Merry Christmas and all the best for 2008 to everyone!
    Foster I's

15. Parkview

Parkview
    Expand Collapse

Hi Fosters,

Yep, its a little windy and chilly here today. But it doesn't usually last long. A chart of the average daily high temps by month is included on the Winter Traveller's page of the website.

We full-timed for about 2 years until we decided to build the RV Park. Then we bought the Phaeton a couple of years ago to accomodate a handicap lift and a wheel chair for my wife, who has since passed away. So the Phaeton is spending way too much time parked beside my house (located adjacent to the park). Hope to correct that soon.

Thanks,
    Doug
    :D

16. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Parkview: Thank you for your reply....sorry to learn of your loss. :(
    Website is nicely orchestrated. Yourself?

BTW: appreciate your feedback in the ever-changing communication chatter. Engineer's response flew several FEET above my head...but...I love a challenge! B) Confirmed world news junkie...DH says I care too much.

This winter starts our second year full-timing. Much less anxiety (my thing) about keeping in touch on our own terms: meds, mail, money mgmt, jury duty, dmv, taxes...mixed with aging parents and adult kids. Mini rant. Later.
    Foster I's

17. Silvana

Silvana
    Expand Collapse

Just finished reading all the posts.

My husband and I have been full timing for nine years. I would have to say that Texas is probably my favorite winter destination. Weve stayed in the hill country a couple of winters and the coast a couple of times. Rockport is nice and quiet. It does get windy. If you haven't been to Livingston I would give that a try for hill country. Escapees is located there. Its a great organization for us full timers. San Angelo is also another quiet community,it has more shopping and resturaunts than the others. As for the response about California. That is were we are originally from. We try to stay away from the big cities and southern California as much as possible. The Sierras are great, like being in another state.

Attached Files:

18. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Silvana,

I'm really glad to hear that you like Texas, and you certainly have experienced several different parts. We have not had the pleasure of seeing a lot of California, but we would really like to one day. However, being a native Texan I could not let this slide by. Livingston is not in the Hill Country. (Although you may have used the term more generically than as a reference to "The Hill Country.") Anyway it is actually in the southern tip of the Piney Woods which stretches over to the eastern and up to the northern borders of Texas. There are not as many trees around Livingston as there are to the northeast around Nacogdoches, but it is still counted as part of the Piney Woods.

Now that you've had your Texas geography lesson for the day I hope you continue to enjoy your time here.

PS What a beautiful dog you have!

19. Silvana

Silvana
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, She's a 22 month old long hair german shepard.
    When we were in the Livingson area, includng Conroe and Trinity the locals I talked with considered it hill country. In Trinity we did have lots of trees. Sorry for the mystake, its still a very nice quiet area. P.S. Do you know Trinity? It's a very small town.

Attached Files:

20. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Looks like she's ready for any kind of weather.

We are not familiar with Trinity, but we have driven through the general area 2-3 times and know that it is very pretty around there. But I'm surprised the locals call it the hill country. Again maybe they are just using that as a geological term. The official "Texas Hill Country" is north and west of San Antonio putting it nowhere near Livingston. But I guess it doesn't really matter what the area is called as long as you like it and are having fun there.