Propane...

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by gwbischoff, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Mar 24 2008, 11:24 PM) [snapback]10888[/snapback]

My RV dealer told me that it didn't matter. If someone should happen to plow into your RV on the side with the propane tank, it will cause just as much damage if it's on or off.

However, I also am cautious and make sure it's off. If you ride a WA State Ferry, you MUST turn it off.

JJ

Propane is not allowed when using the tunnel systems in the New York City area, therefore Rvs are not allowed. They can use the bridges but must use the upper road levels with the tanks "off".

2. Trentheim

Trentheim
    Expand Collapse

It sounds like it is time for a bit of education from a couple of unbiased sources. Check out the following two links:
    http://home.howstuffworks.com/refrigerator5.htm
    and
    http://www.rvtowingtips.com/propane.htm

Now take a deep breath and think about you and your RV. From the reading, it is fairly obvious that turning the propane on while motoring down the highway is pretty safe. It's also pretty obvious that it MUST be turned off prior to fueling up at a gas station. Some bridges and all tunnels require that it be turned off.

So... depending on where you drive, you could potentially be turning the propane on and off so much that you significantly delay your trip.

If your motorhome isn't the newest you should probably consider the condition of the propane burner elements in the refrigerator too. If it's older, chances are its somewhat to significantly worn.

So use your head and think about what you should do. Short trips won't require much "maintenance" refrigeration since the unit should stay cold enough (just like an insulated cooler). Longer trips might need to be assisted either with the propane or with an ice bag.

The real decision maker might be the price of propane. I think a bag of ice is probably a bit less expensive (and easier to obtain sometimes) than a refill of propane. And you don't have to turn off a bag of ice to go over a bridge.

3. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Trentheim @ Mar 25 2008, 06:28 AM) [snapback]10892[/snapback]

The real decision maker might be the price of propane. I think a bag of ice is probably a bit less expensive (and easier to obtain sometimes) than a refill of propane. And you don't have to turn off a bag of ice to go over a bridge.

Five Day Cooler purchased from Wal-Mart. Just take a chlorox jug, fill it up with water, freeze it, and put it in the Five Day Cooler. Works fine! Of course, it's a pain to have to "stash" the cooler once you are set up..... (some RV parks won't let you put stuff outside, esthetics, you know....)

JJ

4. markfoto

markfoto
    Expand Collapse

In general, you should not have a problem with the propane on. I have never heard of a problem either. I guess, by that logic, you can smoke at a gas pump too, or use your cell phone while refueling. But if there is a traffic accident, you could really endanger yourself and others. Your fridge is basically a glorified cooler; it should keep things cold for a days drive. Or fire up the genny, and let that cool it. We should have a thread to update all of us when you guys are traveling, so we can be sure to avoid those roads.

5. PATHFINDER AND RAINBOW

PATHFINDER AND RAINBOW
    Expand Collapse

WE HAVE FOUND THAT ONCE THE REFRIGERATOR IS COLD; AS LONG AS WE DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR DURING TRAVEL; THAT FOOD STAYS COLD ENOUGH WITHOUT THE PROPANE. SINCE WE RARELY DRIVE MORE THAN 6-8 HOURS, IT'S WORKED FINE FOR US FOR YEARS.

I HAVE ALSO, ON OCCASION, PUT A ZIPLOCK BAG OR 2 OF ICE FROM OUR ICEMAKER INTO
    THE VEGGIE BINS OF THE REFRIGERATOR TO HELP KEEP IT EVEN COOLER DURING TRAVEL.

WE'RE NOT COMFORTABLE DRIVING WITH THE PROPANE ON.

HAPPY TRAVELS!
    RAINBOW

6. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(FosterImposters @ Mar 21 2008, 11:45 PM) [snapback]10845[/snapback]

B) Ah come on...live dangerously!

You mis-read - something is wrong with mine and it won't light - so I had to travel with it off. Normally, it's on the entire trip unless I'm fueling or if the CG has 110.

It did work on 110 when I got to the CG, so I guess I'll be putting in the shop (after I call the locksmith because I couldn't find the keys when we got home an hour ago - DOH!!!!!)

7. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(HappiestCamper @ Mar 27 2008, 09:52 PM) [snapback]10921[/snapback]

You mis-read - something is wrong with mine and it won't light - so I had to travel with it off. Normally, it's on the entire trip unless I'm fueling or if the CG has 110.

It did work on 110 when I got to the CG, so I guess I'll be putting in the shop (after I call the locksmith because I couldn't find the keys when we got home an hour ago - DOH!!!!!)

In the daylight the next morning, I discovered what that big noise I heard while backing in. I thought it was just the sound of a boxwood being snapped. Turns out there was a garden hose in the bush that got wrapped around the sewer connection, and had ripped it all out. The grey water tank is okay, but the black water tank has to be replaced, along with a new connection from both.

Paid the locksmith $55 to open the door. Got the estimate yesterday for changing the lock, fixing the igniter on the fridge, and all the sewer stuff - $1,352 :eek:

Okay, when are those checks supposed to arrive in May for my economic stimilus :D

8. Terry10

Terry10
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(gwbischoff @ Aug 22 2007, 06:00 PM) [snapback]8103[/snapback]

Ok, common sense and most people (myself included) say not to run down the road with your propane on.

Others are from the camp of "Awww shoot. You ain't gonna' hurt nuthin'".

I always err on the side of caution, but it'd be nice to run the fridge during an 8 hour drive across the desert.

So which is it?

I have never heard tha rule before. I figure there is a reason for the refrigator being both electric/propane. I am a full-time RV'er and when I am not hooked up to shore power in a campground my propane is ON!! Running down the road to a new destination or simply boondoggling if I am not running the generator or hooked up to electricity the propane operates the refrigator.

I know some people who empty their refrigators before starting on a trip. I am not one!! My refrigator is always full. I keep ice in the freezer along with meat and frozen foods. I keep cold drinks including milk in the refrigator and they all need COLD

9. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Terry10 @ Apr 27 2008, 10:05 PM) [snapback]11367[/snapback]

I know some people who empty their refrigators before starting on a trip. I am not one!! My refrigator is always full. I keep ice in the freezer along with meat and frozen foods. I keep cold drinks including milk in the refrigator and they all need COLD

Um..... if you ever travel on a ferry, you MUST turn the propane OFF.

I keep a 5-day cooler in my RV. I carry the foods in it until I get to my destination and get the fridg cold.

JJ

10. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(HappiestCamper @ Apr 10 2008, 10:02 AM) [snapback]11101[/snapback]

In the daylight the next morning, I discovered what that big noise I heard while backing in. I thought it was just the sound of a boxwood being snapped. Turns out there was a garden hose in the bush that got wrapped around the sewer connection, and had ripped it all out. The grey water tank is okay, but the black water tank has to be replaced, along with a new connection from both.

Paid the locksmith $55 to open the door. Got the estimate yesterday for changing the lock, fixing the igniter on the fridge, and all the sewer stuff - $1,352 :eek:

Okay, when are those checks supposed to arrive in May for my economic stimilus :D

After 2 months (and one day) in the shop, it's finally home. $200 under estimate. Though the first thing they did was fix the fridge, let it get cold, then turned it off (with the door closed). Now I get to clean up two months worth of mold. :angry:

11. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi all,

I have six freezer packs that I leave in the freezer. In the morning after leaving a camp ground I move one from the freezer into the fridge. With six of them I can get through 3 days of boondocking.

I also have an inverter that I can use to power the fridge should I run out of freezer packs.

If worst comes to worst I can fire up my generator and the cycle will start all over.

I tend to use a lot of water so that's the limiting factor on the boondocking side of the equation.

Travel for three days with two nights of boondocking followed by a campground with electric and/or water, and/or sewer (or at least a dump site) works well for me.

My fridge is old as is the whole RV. Sometimes it won't light on propane--and sometimes it will. Of course, the times it won't are when I need to cool the fridge the most. That's why I got an inverter that could do the job.

In general I use very little propane as I can use the inverter to power a single hotplate to cook lunch, heat water for washing dishes, or cook an evening meal. I do enjoy cooking over a fire too! It helps that my wife enjoys playing with fire to heat water for washing dishes too.

All I can say is Hurrah for solar panels! (wish I had more than I do).

Happy Camping.