Rock Crusher Canyon

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Everafter Camper, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Everafter Camper

Everafter Camper
    Expand Collapse

:rolleyes:

I'm pretty new at RVing and already love it! Would like to know if anyone recently visted Rock Crusher Canyon in Crystal River, FL. Read the reviews on this site but would like to know if upper level sites are larger. Have reservations for March, 2006. Any no see ums at that park? Would really appreciate any input anyone would have about the campground and things to do in the area. Thank you.

2. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Despite some rave reviews on this park, we did not like it when we were there last year. The few pull through sites they had were too short and we had to unhook the toad to get in or out, and the bugs were bad. Many others seem to like it, but we did not.

3. Everafter Camper

Everafter Camper
    Expand Collapse

:) Thank you for the info. Really appreciate it.

4. Dogbone

Dogbone
    Expand Collapse

We stayed there last February for a month, we liked it, the bugs were not bad at all, maybe there better in Feb, the upper sites are about the same size as the lower sites. The upper sites have quite a hill to climb up if you are walking or biking.We would stay at the lower sites next time. All sites are very level, there is no concrete patios, the sites are a little more primitive that was alright with us. Biking around the area is not the greatest.

One problem we had was weekend party campers came in and of course parked right beside us and had about 10 people partying all night for about 3 days, we complained and moved to another site.

Nice pool and whirl pool.

Say hello to Barb and Cliff for us they are the entertainment hosts from John and Jocelyne, they are great people.

5. Everafter Camper

Everafter Camper
    Expand Collapse

:)

Thank you for the response. What do you mean by primitive camping? Not too many things to do? I have an 11 year old son that wanted to take his bike. Guess not to good of an idea. We like to go salt water fishing on the gulf. Also, looking at the sites near Crystal River. Been to St. Pete/Madeira Beach and loved John's Pass, was looking for something similar but further north. Previously was going to St. Augustine, but geez.... it's a guessing game picking a campground. We've been lucky so far in getting nice sites, but this time around afraid of picking wrong CG. Hopefully Rock Crusher will be good. Let me know is there enough lighting at the park in the upper level? I believe they have no more sites on lower level, but will check tomorrow. Reason I picked it was rave reviews in Trailer Life and Woodalls', also I like mountains and was hoping to see some elevation in FL. I know it sounds silly, but you never know. We are from Florida and I love the mountains. Again, thank you for the input. Take care.

6. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Everafter Camper:

You mentioned that you had considered St. Augustine, but have you considered Beverly Beach? This is a small community between St. Augustine and Daytona Beach, near Flagler Beach. The campground, Beverly Beach RV Park, advertises that this is the only campground between the Georgia line and Miami that is right on the ocean. We have stayed there several times and the ocean is literally at your front door. The roads throughout the campground are paved and are good for bike riding. You'll find reviews on this site under Flagler Beach, Florida. Good luck.

7. Dogbone

Dogbone
    Expand Collapse

By primitive camping I mean, no paved sites with concrete patio's, the roads are paved and are fine for your 11 year old as the park is big and I am sure the park is big enough for him to ride around in, we are big bikers and like to bike about 10-15 miles so biking for us was OK but we had to bike a bit on the small highways to get to any communities.

I'll describe the sites, they are very large compared to most campsites, there actually have a concrete pad under the ground that makes the site perfectly level. The sites on the hill are very nice, and probably nicer than most on the lower level, they are grass with a little shrub and trees in between them, they are pretty private, they have cable free at each site and WiFi also free but is hard to get a signal on the hill, we had to go to the community centre to get a signal. The hill is surrounded by trails and bush which is really nice if you get a site on the outer ring.

The community centre is big and has a big screen TV seldomly used, there is a small kitchen in it and lots of tables for Bingo etc. The pool area is very nice, large enclosed screened in pool always over 80 degrees, sometimes to warm if anything, the whirlpool is nice holds about 6 people and again is a nice temperature (not to hot).

I would recommend the campsite to anyone, it is really nice and we really enjoyed it. There is a great bike path in Inverness that is about 40 miles long that links a couple of small towns, it is an old railway that has been removed, it is unbelievable and very level for biking. Also another bike trail north of Crystal River that goes to the Gulf which is really nice about 7 miles long.

I think you will enjoy your stay and have a great time. :) :p :p ;) ;) :) :)

Hope this helps.

8. jgrving

jgrving
    Expand Collapse

Oh, please please please don't rule out St. Augustine....please check out www.northbeachcamp.com This place is WONDERFUL !! All sites are large,private, and canopied with beautiful trees...very tropical....campground is directly across from Atlantic Ocean AND at the rear of the park is a beautiful river....a fisherman's paradise....the campground is a resort, has pool, etc....restaurant across the street....away from the "crowds" , actually on Vilano Beach, very close to St. Augustine attractions...this is one of our VERY favorite beach camping spots....just lovely...check out the website....good luck !!

9. Everafter Camper

Everafter Camper
    Expand Collapse

:D

Wow! Thank you all for the input. Dogbone really great news. Yes we will definitely be visiting St. Augustine. It's funny Beverly Beach and North Beach camp resort were ones we were looking at as well. I have both their websites and hopefully will visit next trip after Crystal River, FL. Need to wait for hubby to get more time off. ;) Really love this camping stuff. That's it, I'm addicted! :p We just went this weekend to East Lake Fish Camp, Kissimme, FL; most tranquil and great sites. Too bad they are being sold to make room for condos or homes. Yuck! Well everyone, again thank you for all the information, this is definitely a great place to be a member of. Take care. :D

10. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

We have been to Rock Crusher Canyon several times as it is only 70 miles from my house. We loved it. Great large sites, lots of trees, the community center was very nice with a huge TV, great pool and hot tub, lots of paved biking trails. It is about 7 miles from a great public beach on the Gulf. Lot of nice restaurants in the area if you want to eat out. You would be hard pressed to find a better campground in the are. We never had any problems with bugs or with noise. Certain times of the year in Florida, you will get bug no matter where you are. The hookups are all 50 amp, so you will need an adapter if you are 30 amps.

11. Everafter Camper

Everafter Camper
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for the good news Lindsay. We are on our way next Friday! Can't wait.

12. floridian couple

floridian couple
    Expand Collapse

Beverly Beach is ok, but very expensive, no pool and nothing around to do, you have to drive at least 5 miles or more to see anything. Beverly Beach is great if all you want to do is sit and look at the ocean 24/7.
    Gamble Rogers State Park has a nice campground also in front of the ocean, and 1/4 of the price of beverly. and 2 miles from the pier. Kids would better love Gamble Rogers.

You want great parks, here are my choices and I am very picky:
    Blythe Island, brunswick, Ga
    Anastasia, st augustine, FL
    Jekyll Island campground, Jekyll Island, Ga
    Hanna Park, Jacksonville, Fl
    KOA, st augustine, fl ( 2 blocks to beach)
    Huegenot Park, Jacksonville, Fl
    Fort Clinch, fernandina beach, fl
    Little Talbot Island, Jacksonville, FL
    Bahia Honda, Key west, fl

QUOTE(Everafter Camper @ Feb 1 2006, 12:24 AM) [snapback]3407[/snapback]

Wow! Thank you all for the input. Dogbone really great news. Yes we will definitely be visiting St. Augustine. It's funny Beverly Beach and North Beach camp resort were ones we were looking at as well. I have both their websites and hopefully will visit next trip after Crystal River, FL. Need to wait for hubby to get more time off. ;) Really love this camping stuff. That's it, I'm addicted! :p We just went this weekend to East Lake Fish Camp, Kissimme, FL; most tranquil and great sites. Too bad they are being sold to make room for condos or homes. Yuck! Well everyone, again thank you for all the information, this is definitely a great place to be a member of. Take care. :D