Root River Trail Minnesota

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by busyteach, Jan 6, 2007.

1. busyteach

busyteach
    Expand Collapse

Are any of you familiar with camping and biking along the Root River Trail in Minnesota? My husband and I are middle aged and enjoy the rails to trails biking experience through the countryside, although we are not mountain bikers. We are planning our summer trek for 2007 and recently saw a TV show that briefly mentioned the trail, which looked like it has nice scenery. Ideally, we'd like a campground close to the trail.

2. stonybirch

stonybirch
    Expand Collapse

I am quite familiar with many areas of Minn, and don't know where the Root River Tail is, let me know it's location and I'll see if I can help you out. We have camped for many years in MN. If you want to visit a unique place, try the Big Bog State Park in Waskish, MN. It's a new park with a 'bog walk' that is great. The walk has benches and viewing area along the mile long elevated walk. There are other trails, too. The campground is new with electric & water on the Tamarack River. It is only about 40 miles south of the Canadian border, but well worth the drive!

3. Gezzer

Gezzer
    Expand Collapse

It is my understanding the Root River trail is mostly blacktop. I think it follows an old railroad bed, as many of the bike trails in MN do. It is in southern MN, no mountains, some hills, a very lovely part of MN. You should enjoy biking, etc. anyplace along the trail.

Safe travels, Judy

4. busyteach

busyteach
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(stonybirch @ Jan 8 2007, 08:54 PM) [snapback]5727[/snapback]

I am quite familiar with many areas of Minn, and don't know where the Root River Tail is, let me know it's location and I'll see if I can help you out. We have camped for many years in MN. If you want to visit a unique place, try the Big Bog State Park in Waskish, MN. It's a new park with a 'bog walk' that is great. The walk has benches and viewing area along the mile long elevated walk. There are other trails, too. The campground is new with electric & water on the Tamarack River. It is only about 40 miles south of the Canadian border, but well worth the drive!

5. busyteach

busyteach
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the info. The trail runs through Lanesboro and some other small towns. The Internet pictures look very pleasant, but wanted some "real" info from someone that has been there.