Routing Help

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by csvreno, Apr 14, 2008.

1. csvreno

csvreno
    Expand Collapse

We're taking a trip starting May 23 from Reno, and I want to avoid being hung up at Hoover Dam. Which route is better for a 35' gas Class A; via Barstow on 395, or through Searchlight on 95? It's the first leg of a trip to southern Illinois, so we'll be fairly well loaded. (the rig, not us!) Any advice would be appreciated.

2. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Annie,

Why would you route through Hoover Dam at all? I-80 east will get you to Illiniois.

3. csvreno

csvreno
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Apr 14 2008, 02:54 PM) [snapback]11191[/snapback]

Hi Annie,

Why would you route through Hoover Dam at all? I-80 east will get you to Illiniois.

That's the return leg- we want to do a little sightseeing in Arizona and New Mexico on the way.

4. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

csvreno,

I'm sorry that I can't say which would be the better route that you have asked about, but I did want to tell you that we have been over the Hoover Dam several times in our class A (the most recent time being last Jan. and Feb.) and we have never had any trouble or a long wait. It is a bit slow going because of the twisty curves and the sightseers, but the inspection of the vehicle has always been very fast. In fact the RV lane at the inspection station rarely has any vehicles in it, and even then the officers work quickly. We have to open all our underneath bins, and one person comes inside and just looks around a little, and then we're on our way. So if you are not going that way just because of the dam, I'd say don't let it stop you. It's not bad at all.

We have also driven Hwy 95 from Las Vegas through Searchlight and then over through Laughlin to Kingman, but it has been about 3 years. Back then 95 was 2 lanes and had lots of 18 wheelers because they cannot go over the Hoover Dam and this is their detour route. However, the road from Laughlin to Kingman was 4 lanes and newly redone--if any of that makes a difference to you.

Hope this helps you some.

5. csvreno

csvreno
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Apr 14 2008, 03:46 PM) [snapback]11193[/snapback]

csvreno,

I'm sorry that I can't say which would be the better route that you have asked about, but I did want to tell you that we have been over the Hoover Dam several times in our class A (the most recent time being last Jan. and Feb.) and we have never had any trouble or a long wait. It is a bit slow going because of the turns and the sightseers, but the inspection of the vehicle has always been very fast. In fact the RV lane at the inspection station rarely has any vehicles in it, and even then the officers work quickly. We have to open all our underneath bins, and one person comes inside and just looks around a little, and then we're on our way. So if you are not going that way just because of the dam, I'd say don't let it stop you. It's not bad at all.

We have also driven Hwy 95 from Las Vegas through Searchlight and then over through Laughlin to Kingman, but it has been about 3 years. Back then 95 was 2 lanes and had lots of 18 wheelers because they cannot go over the Hoover Dam and this is their detour route. However, the road from Laughlin to Kingman was 4 lanes and newly redone--if any of that makes a difference to you.

Hope this helps you some.

Very much to the point, and thank you very much. We've been warned about Hoover Dam primarily because of it being Memorial Day weekend.

6. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Memorial Day could make a BIG difference. We went through on just a plain weekday.

7. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Can second TexasRvers for Hwy 95 through Searchlite. Still 2-lanes, and still heavy, big-rig traffic... :blink:
    We hit it on an overly windy, mid-week April spring day last year: going from Blythe, California to Vegas. The stop at Searchlite was a good break to re-collect the nerves before dropping down into Vegas. Too much truck traffic for 'casual cruzing' at 55 mph.
    Next time we'll try the dam route...sounds calmer. :rolleyes:
    That said...traveling during Memorial Day weekend is always crowded out here...sorry. B)

8. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

Can't tell you about the 395 section (although I'm scheduled to do that run twice this summer) but 95 through Searchlight can get damned ugly. Big Rigs-o-Plenty.

High "Pucker-Factor". :unsure:

I would go to Barstow and then get your kicks on (what was) Route 66.

9. csvreno

csvreno
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(gwbischoff @ Apr 15 2008, 03:07 PM) [snapback]11219[/snapback]

Can't tell you about the 395 section (although I'm scheduled to do that run twice this summer) but 95 through Searchlight can get damned ugly. Big Rigs-o-Plenty.

High "Pucker-Factor". :unsure:

I would go to Barstow and then get your kicks on (what was) Route 66.

Damned ugly and big rigs we get commuting. For pleasure, we decided to move the trip up a week and cross Hoover Saturday the 17th. Then down to 40 and across at our leisure. Thanks to everybody for the advice; this will be our longest trip so far, and we can use all the help we can get.

:blink:

10. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We've made the run from Vegas, across Hoover, and down Hwy 93 to I-40 several times. It is an easy route, but the scenery on 93 is pretty boring. Course a desert landscape has its charm, but there's just too much of it. Once you get to I-40 things get a little more interesting especially around Flagstaff.

The Grand Canyon Railway RV Park is a good place to stay in Williams, AZ. Take the train to the Grand Canyon. It's a lot of fun, but watch out for the train robbers on the way back. Also Williams is a cute little town.

Have a great trip.

11. csvreno

csvreno
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Apr 15 2008, 05:29 PM) [snapback]11230[/snapback]

We've made the run from Vegas, across Hoover, and down Hwy 93 to I-40 several times. It is an easy route, but the scenery on 93 is pretty boring. Course a desert landscape has its charm, but there's just too much of it. Once you get to I-40 things get a little more interesting especially around Flagstaff.

The Grand Canyon Railway RV Park is a good place to stay in Williams, AZ. Take the train to the Grand Canyon. It's a lot of fun, but watch out for the train robbers on the way back. Also Williams is a cute little town.

Have a great trip.

Thanks so much. We live outside of Reno, so by the time we get to I-40 we'll be ready for a change of view.

Good advice on the train ride- Annie and I have never seen the Grand Canyon, and would like to do so. Technically, this is a visit to family in Illinois, but we want to see as much of the Southwest as possible given a VERY limited time frame.

Thanks again for the help!

12. RL36

RL36
    Expand Collapse

:) Im a native Califonian, take 395. There are some great places to stop and check out. While going through Bishop stop off and get some of the best beef jerkey you will ever have,cant remember the name of the place but its on the left side of the HWY when your coming into town from the north. Also while going through Bishop you must stop at Shat's Bakkery on Main st,amazing breads and bake goods,and for a great breakfast Jack Resturant on Main st is awesome. 395 has great fishing great little towns to stop off at and if you want a great history lesson stop at the old Mansanar camp, its between Independence and Lone Pine,a must stop. Also in Lone Pine there is a great RV Park (Boulder Creek). Its also a pretty drive,you will also get to see the San Andreas fault. Also Red Rock canyon is pretty cool too. I was recently in Barstow believe it or not on business I stopped into the Route 66 Museum and the train museum,WOW that was pretty neat! What ever route you take have fun a drive safely!!!! :)

13. csvreno

csvreno
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RL36 @ Apr 16 2008, 09:40 AM) [snapback]11241[/snapback]

:) Im a native Califonian, take 395. There are some great places to stop and check out. While going through Bishop stop off and get some of the best beef jerkey you will ever have,cant remember the name of the place but its on the left side of the HWY when your coming into town from the north. Also while going through Bishop you must stop at Shat's Bakkery on Main st,amazing breads and bake goods,and for a great breakfast Jack Resturant on Main st is awesome. 395 has great fishing great little towns to stop off at and if you want a great history lesson stop at the old Mansanar camp, its between Independence and Lone Pine,a must stop. Also in Lone Pine there is a great RV Park (Boulder Creek). Its also a pretty drive,you will also get to see the San Andreas fault. Also Red Rock canyon is pretty cool too. I was recently in Barstow believe it or not on business I stopped into the Route 66 Museum and the train museum,WOW that was pretty neat! What ever route you take have fun a drive safely!!!! :)

I haven't been that far south on 395 for almost 30 years, but I remember it as being a leisurely type of road. In our 35' gas rig, how slow of a route would you say it is?