Rutledge Lake Rv Park ,asheville Nc

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by boater, Aug 22, 2006.

1. boater

boater
    Expand Collapse

just returned from a trip to the asheville,nc area. we started out staying at rutledge lake rv park in fletcher,nc. that will be our last time there.
    We called about three days ahead and made reservations for four nights. at the time i ask for a pull thru site ans was told there weren none available. so i agreed to take a back in site.
    when we arrived- this was a very nice appearing park, neat, clean and had all the facilities. but ---We checked in and were assigned a site. had a terrible time getting backed into the site took my wife and another person to help to keep from backing all over the park signs etc. very crooked approach. after we got backed in the man who helped us told me that this was the most difficult site in the park to get into. after get into set up (we were put in a 50 amp site) we looked around the park and discovered that it was about 1/2 empty with at least three pull thru sites unoccupied. There was also another 50 amp site in the group that we were in. important to note there was at least one other site empty in this section the whole time we were there and even when we left.
    Also ask if it would be possible to extend our stay at the end of the four days- we were told no problem.
    After two days of stay we decided to stay another three days. I went to the office to make arrangements. the lady behind the counter told me that the site i was in would be rented on sunday afternoon(the day i was scheduled to leave)
    no other comment or offer. This is the first time i have ever been politely pushed out of an rv park, however i was surprised to be told so rudely.
    I should hve added that the wife and I are senior citizens. We dont have pets, didnt bring the grandchildren and dont play loud music.. We dont use the bathrooms , so no mess from that. basiclly we are nice quiet campers. no reason to be so short with us.

2. troyster

troyster
    Expand Collapse

Whenever I hear someone tell about an experience like this it reminds me of the ad for holding tank chemical that appears in the Good Sams Club magazines, where nobody wants to park by them because they didn't treat their tank properly.

Seriously, it sounds like you dealt with some real boneheads, thanks for the heads up. I always write little notes in the margins of my Woodalls when I hear good or bad experiences someone else has had.

3. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

Did you post a review of this campground? If not, please do so. Someone interested in going there at a later date, (next summer for instance) won't see this post, but they will see your review.

4. Mike503

Mike503
    Expand Collapse

Have stayed at this park as well and must agree with your assesment of the quality of the park and the associates in the office. This was not this way when they first opened a few years back.

5. woodman

woodman
    Expand Collapse

Thanks. We're returning to the area to spend the hols with Mom and have inquired whether they REALLY want $840/month for a site in December in the mountains of NC (?), and are waiting for a reply. Now I'm not so sure I care!

Any ideas for a good alternative for six weeks?

W

6. boater

boater
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(woodman @ Oct 14 2006, 03:26 PM) [snapback]5249[/snapback]

Thanks. We're returning to the area to spend the hols with Mom and have inquired whether they REALLY want $840/month for a site in December in the mountains of NC (?), and are waiting for a reply. Now I'm not so sure I care!

Any ideas for a good alternative for six weeks?

W

woodman
    we did a rather extensive lookthru at many of the campgrounds in the area when we were there this fall because we like to go to this area.
    we found that mama girties in asheville seemed to be ok. also the koa at swanola(across the road from mama girties) was fairly good. Earlier this year we were in the area and we stayed at bear creek. it was ok if you stay in the upper part. lower area kind of noisy from the freeway.
    Most of the campgrounds around hendersonville seemed to be full of permanent residents or many seasonal visitors. not for short visits.
    depends on where you re going, i have had good reports from a friend who camps close to gatlinberg that there is a good campground there. when we were up that way last time we went to look at the koa in boone, I plan to go there next summer. its up high nd seems to be quiet. good luck on finding what you want
    boater

7. woodman

woodman
    Expand Collapse

Thanks very much, boater, but Mom's right IN H'ville, and we sing at the old home church for Xmas, so we need to be in or very near town. We'll find a place, I'm sure. It just won't be that one!