Site Suggestions

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by M A Wilson, Mar 30, 2018.

1. M A Wilson

M A Wilson
    Expand Collapse

I like the main site. The reviews are very useful. But ....
    Geographic and name search can only go so far. At some point people (well, ok, I) get tired of clicking on flags looking for the campground that meets their (my) wants and/or needs. The main site really needs a filter function. How useful would, for example, RV Trader be if you couldn't filter for the RV types you're interested in, or the price range your budget can handle? It would be very nice to be able to specify price range, 50A electric or 'big rig' accessible, etc., to narrow down the research a bit. The data is already in the database. It shouldn't be too difficult to add some HTML and JavaScript/PHP/Perl/whatever to build a query based on user selections.

Paythebill likes this.
  2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

We appreciate your comments and share your desire to be able to better filter your searches. We have improvements in this area under development and we expect the will "go live" in the not too distant future.

Although it's true that much of the potential search data is already in the database, in fact, creating new site functionality is a bit more complicated than just adding a few lines of code. We appreciate your interest in improving RVPR and for being a user.

Joel (aka docj)

Paythebill likes this.
  3. M A Wilson

M A Wilson
    Expand Collapse

I don't believe I said "a few" lines of code. Having been a software developer, IT manager then web app developer over 37 years, I'm fairly certain what it would take. Regardless, I'm glad y'all are working on it.

4. Sharon and Gary

Sharon and Gary
    Expand Collapse

I keep coming across little annoyances like (1) campgrounds that do not take reservations, and (2) campgrounds that have mostly long term and very few overnight sites. I don't know how it would be possible to filter those out.

Paythebill likes this.
  5. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Going back to the original post, are you aware that we do have some filters in place, but not all that are needed. We hope in the future the developers will add other filters that have been suggested. If you have not seen our filtering function you can get to it by clicking on "Search" on the Home Page. The next screen will have the filters on the left side of the page. This is not the best filter system, but until we have a new one ready, maybe this one will be of some help.

Paythebill likes this.
  6. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

When we are aware that a park has restricted its site rentals to "long term stays only" we do try to note that in the title bar. As for reservations policies, they often change every season as park management and its operating philosophy changes. I'm not sure there's any way we can keep abreast of such changes accurately enough to include them as search criteria.

Paythebill likes this.