Suggestions On Good State Parks In Kentucky

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Sverlinde, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Sverlinde

Sverlinde
    Expand Collapse

Any one know of good state parks in Kentucky. We have camped at a couple but are going on a summer vacation camping experience in Kentucky. We like the State parks with nice golf courses too. If you have any suggestions reply back. B)

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Try the KY Horse Park north for Lexington off I-75 exit 120 one mile east, turn left. Park has 260 nice back in black top sites, with water and 50 amps. Two dump stations. Nice trees in park, swimming pool, volleyball courts, basketball courts, playground, tennis courts, camp store, and bathhouses with laundry. Good places to eat couple miles north of park. Toyota plant couple miles north of park (free plant tour). Lexington is full of golf courses to play on. Reserve America for reservation or call park at 800-370-6416 x 257. Did I miss anything?

Now go have a good time.

3. busyteach

busyteach
    Expand Collapse

I am from Kentucky and we have found most of our state parks to be well cared for and RV friendly. Kentucky Horse Park is indeed in a beautiful part of the state and has tourist attractions nearby including the horse park itself as well as Keeneland Racetrack, but the park itself isn't as scenic as some other parks although it is very well kept and clean. The biggest negative to Ky. Horse Park is that there are many activities held there including track meets, dog shows, etc. so check the calendar for the week you're visiting. Sometimes, if you're wanting a quiet time, the crowds at the events can be a nuisance.

Cumberland Lake, Natural Bridge and Barren River are all parks we enjoy more and are very scenic and usually quiet. A web search for Kentucky state parks will give you the list of amenities of each of the 25 parks. Enjoy your time in Kentucky.

4. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

How is the Zilpo campground on Cave Run Lake? Sites level, bathhouses clean, mosquito bad????

5. busyteach

busyteach
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Cheryl @ Jun 19 2006, 08:11 PM) [snapback]4428[/snapback]

How is the Zilpo campground on Cave Run Lake? Sites level, bathhouses clean, mosquito bad????

6. busyteach

busyteach
    Expand Collapse

Sorry..I messed up on the reply. I just wanted to let you know that I haven't visited Cave Run Lake so I'm no help there.

7. Sverlinde

Sverlinde
    Expand Collapse

Update: Here is all the places I have been to in Kentucky......

Kentucky Horse Park
    Yatesville Lake Sp
    General Butler Sp
    Lake Cumberland Sp (stayed at resort lodge)
    Lake Barkley Sp (stayed at resort lodge)
    Big Bone Lic Sp

If you have never been to Yatesville lake Sp you have to go. The golfing is amazing, Its a course like no other! B)

8. Lance-a-Lot

Lance-a-Lot
    Expand Collapse

I usually stay in loop "G" or loop "H". Most of the sites are pretty level, a few are not. There are only a handful of full hook-up sites available and these are usually taken by the hosts. The bathhouses are usually clean. The water is solar heated. The men's usually has plenty of hot water while the women's does not. I have have encountered mosquitoes but not excessive amounts IMO. Be sure to take everything you need, you're at the end of a peninsula and it's a long drive back out to the main highway and stores. The camp store has a few items.

9. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

We will be in the F loop, with electric hook-ups. We have a family reunion nearby, so we will only be at the campground in the mornings and evenings.

10. Lance-a-Lot

Lance-a-Lot
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Cheryl @ Jun 19 2006, 11:36 PM) [snapback]4437[/snapback]

We will be in the F loop, with electric hook-ups. We have a family reunion nearby, so we will only be at the campground in the mornings and evenings.

"F" Loop is a good place to see white-tailed deer. I have also seen bald eagles while camped at Zilpo.

11. Lance-a-Lot

Lance-a-Lot
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(mogulman @ Jun 17 2006, 04:00 PM) [snapback]4409[/snapback]

Any one know of good state parks in Kentucky. We have camped at a couple but are going on a summer vacation camping experience in Kentucky. We like the State parks with nice golf courses too. If you have any suggestions reply back. B)

Carter Caves State Resort Park has a golf course. I was there for a cave tour and did not camp.

12. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

"F" Loop is a good place to see white-tailed deer. I have also seen bald eagles while camped at Zilpo.

How cool! Hope we are as lucky.