The Great Lets go on holidays whilst putting a new kitchen adventure

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Jason Goodwin, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

When everything seems like a great idea........you book holidays in the middle of it.........

Trip (and new kitchen) report to follow.......LOL

2. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Looking forward to another great adventure.

BankShot and NYDutch like this.
  3. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hey Jason - Are you sure a band of wild aboriginals didn't hit you on the head with a Didgeridoo... o_O How on earth could a dyed in the wool RVer such as yourself get himself into such a predicament as this one? This should be one very interesting "trip with pictures" to be sure and I know we will all look forward to reading about and seeing the outcome of it all................ :D

Good on you Mate, Terry...............(aka BankShot)

NYDutch likes this.
  4. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Sounds to me DW is having some say in this! :D

Mike

5. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

So....lets take a month off.......tear out and install a new kitchen and have a holiday along the way. Only a few days away...what could possibly go wrong.....cant take long......

So we started here.
    IMG_0197.JPG

6. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

and got to here before the trip away.....sigh......
    UiHvAOXqT6ugz3L2PIVmoQ.jpg

Kitchen Renovations and holidays always go hand in hand.....said nobody ever.

So in the middle of tearing out wall ripping up the floors and building new walls etc we slipped down to the Tweed Billabong situated just over the border in Northern New South Wales for a few nights.

This is a great spot if you don't mind a little aircraft and road noise. The amenities are superb and happily for us there was a little coffee cart adjacent to our setup.

On a side note I replaced the rear springs in the Prado with a new set of heavier King springs. The Prado sits very nicely now without load levelers. We don't notice the firmer back suspension much at all.
    fullsizeoutput_bfa.jpeg

Back to the trip report though.

Great site right across from the Billabong and right next to the Coffee Cart and Camp Kitchen which is to be seen to be believed.
    fullsizeoutput_bf9.jpeg
    with a short walk to the water
    fullsizeoutput_bfd.jpeg
    and its amenities........
    fullsizeoutput_c02.jpeg
    Everybody loves a jumping pillow.......especially in the middle of a Billabong....
    JTVXw%e8SNWsVGeJhI6hSw.jpg

More to come

NYDutch likes this.
  7. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

The Camp Kitchen at this particular park is the best I have ever seen.

and lucky for us literally right across the road from our site
    fullsizeoutput_c06.jpeg
    At the entrance there are 2 large herb gardens for guests to pick as they see fit. They are stocked with every herb you need.
    yL7uGN%lQ6On07%Xu1TmSA.jpg
    I made a roast lamb one night with rosemary from the garden and the next was home made guacamole using the coriander from the garden.

Once inside the Camp Kitchen you cant help but be impressed.
    fullsizeoutput_c04.jpeg
    Built out over the billabong you can have a few beers by the fire or a nice Red on the deck whilst the BBQ is going. Or the kids can have a bit of a fish or just feed the fat buggers.
    fullsizeoutput_c03.jpeg
    A fireplace and TV are always great when the weather gets a bit ordinary.
    JAXVBrLHSeeMS10KTiPphA.jpg
    Multiple ovens and cooking areas don't hurt either

More to come

NYDutch and BankShot like this.
  8. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

So the park is very kid (And Grandkid) friendly having not only the billabong but a pool area, jumping pillow, kids bikes and playground. People are most impressed though by the waterpark which has a number of slides and other amusements.
    fullsizeoutput_c07.jpeg
    The kids love the tipping water bucket...
    ADTbrQhwQ8WEO4c4tVWYNg.jpg
    it also caters for the waiting adult with full sun lounges and day beds.......can anyone say #bigsexysassybear.........
    fullsizeoutput_c08.jpeg
    Plus nearby you have Coolangatta or "Coolie" as we call it with amazing beaches and shops.
    cLxkks7oRKCzFATnIB6PDQ.jpg
    And when it rains your thoughts turn too..........Yes Beer.......Particularly when its a new blend and when it has a bloke with his cattle dog on the tin.......... (Jason recommends the safe and consistent consumption of alcohol, particularly beer that includes a bloke in an Akubra with a blue heeler....)
    280EE443-5AE8-4671-B482-ED20E453A0E0.jpg
    And it ended so soon and we headed home......more to come

NYDutch likes this.
  9. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

What a neat place to anchor down. Bet the kids have a lot of fun there. You take some really great pictures and we all look forward to seeing them. Sure glad you weren't lost out there in the bush somewhere as you have become our main source of entertainment on this forum.........:D

You also really did a number on that kitchen Jason. How long do you expect to be eating at McDonald's and Pizza Hut...... :p We of course expect to see some pictures of the new kitchen when it's completed so don't disappoint us.............:rolleyes:

All the best, Terry.............(aka BankShot)

NYDutch and Jason Goodwin like this.
  10. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

PS: On one trip to Aussieland I flew in and out of Coolangatta airport due to spending a week on the Gold Coast sucking up as much of your fine Australian beer as a human could consume in a single week. Those were some fun times and ones I will never forget.......... Terry

11. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

So....and just for my mate Terry @BankShot on arrival home we cleaned the van and I spent the net 2 weeks doing this......
    cA2o0A00QpCMvoxxrbmU6A.jpg
    New Island
    AwYWwTLmQlG845QnFkN3gQ.jpg
    New Media Room (Note limited edition signed US Air Force Special forces prints on wall)
    BtK1U10MTtGyGJ0JCdQhOA.jpg
    New Computer area
    IMG_0679.jpg
    New kitchen space 1
    IMG_0678.jpg
    New Kitchen space 2
    IMG_0680.jpg
    new Kitchen space 3

Splashbacks, tiling and painting to go but close enough to post it it my book....Not bad for a wood butcher.........

NYDutch likes this.
  12. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

Also found the time to fit out a new Butlers pantry/laundry for the Minister for War and Finance.....
    IMG_0683.jpg
    Couple of views
    IMG_0681.jpg

If I am causing any of you blokes @BankShot @Rollin Ollens @mdcamping @NYDutch dramas with the the management(Wife) I will be over in December and yes......I work for beer and food....Love the USA and its amazing people and cant wait to expose my 3 kids to both (Thats the amazing people and food....they need to be at least 12 for the beer....LOL). December 2018 cant come soon enough for me.

NYDutch likes this.
  13. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

Hope this makes up for and explains why I have been such a slack bugger the last few months.

14. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

Hope this makes up for and explains why I have been such a slack bugger the last few months.

BankShot, NYDutch and Rollin Ollens like this.
  15. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Great work, Jason! You can come to upstate NY and "wood butcher" our little cottage any time you get bored... :D

Jason Goodwin likes this.
  16. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Count me in for a kitchen remodel Jason. You know you could just change your trip itinerary and swing by a few of our digs. Your wife and kids could drop you off at each place, we'd provide the tools and beer, etc. and you could show off your great carpentry work. We'd be only too happy to show your family all those neat places you plan on seeing and we would for sure send you pictures of all of them in vivid living color. It would be much the same as what we go thru looking at all the pictures you send us and as the old saying goes, "turnabout is fair play", and we Yanks play fair.......most of the time....:D

Great pictures again as usual and greatly enjoyed by all
    , Terry.............(aka Bankshot)

17. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Well done Jason! I did the "kitchen reno" twice (two different houses) and that was enough for me. I found it extremely expensive both times and neither time did it help to increase the service or quality of the food being prepared (But it's hard to top the best there is wink wink).

I'm glad you were able to work in a trip though. It probably allowed you time to build up the energy needed to finalize the project.

Again, great pics of the trip. Always enjoy your antics.

Darrell & Jerry

18. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

Did i mention boys its been around 92 degrees here each day for most of the week.......:D

NYDutch likes this.
  19. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Jason, you're killing me. It's maybe 22 degrees here.

#19 Onemoretrail, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  20. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

Terrible day here lads....got down to 89 degrees...nearly had to put a jumper on @Onemoretrail.....

I'll be picking your brains soon as the trip plan has changed. Wondering what you think of San Diego to Las Vegas with an early morning day trip to the grand Canyon Canyon followed by back to Universal studios then a trip to the Reagan library on the way to Anaheim and Disneyland. Have had to pair the trip down to 2 weeks......Trying very hard to get that overnight at a little town in Northern California populated by @BankShot ...seriously we are looking at it as meeting friends makes a trip more worthwhile.....Tell me if San Diego is worth a few nights and what could we do there. Just looking for ideas. Flying out around the 10th of December from OZ and we have a bit over 2 weeks from there.