Water Pumps

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by DXSMac, Nov 27, 2007.

?

What is your preference?

1. I prefer to use water pump and on board tank

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I prefer to use the external hose connection

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I do either one, depending on circumstances

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Nov 30 2007, 06:04 PM) [snapback]9297[/snapback]

So now that you have made your first looooong trip, where are you going next?

I want to go to Grants Pass, OR for New Year's Eve. Don't know anyone, I just don't want to be home, I want to be GONE! But that's a "short" trip.

My next LONG trip....... Well....... I'm debating between........

Taking a trip to Colorado Springs (as a "dress rehearsal" for 2011, when my nephew graduates from AF Academy and I want to take the RV down then....)

Or

Go all the way and go to PA for the Flight 93 thing I want to see.

If I do the Colorado trip, I will put off the PA trip for a year.

Ya know, when I go on an RV trip, the part I absolutely HATE is "coming home." I never want to go home!

JJ

2. ddbradley952

ddbradley952
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Nov 27 2007, 02:01 PM) [snapback]9249[/snapback]

I generally use my "on board tank" (and water pump) as opposed to hooking up a hose. I read in some "full-timing" book written by one of the famous "full-timing" couples (there are a few out there) that this helps keep bacteria down by constantly recirculating the water, or something like that, I'd have to go back to the book to see exactly what they said. It's a pain to fill up the tank every three days, but when I have to "pack up," not having to deal with the hose seems to save me a lot of time.

Anyway, another RV'er argued that this wears out the water pump. However, when I went to "Life on Wheels" in Moscow, ID last summer, an RV tech who gave a class on water systems stated that water pumps generally don't wear out.

So, on board tank? Or hook up hose? (I ought to do this in a "poll.") For me, it's not really about the "recirculating the water" or whatever, it's more that the time I save in not having to worry about the hose on "pack up day" outweighs the minor 15 minutes of inconvenience to fill up the tank every three days. I keep the water hose in a separate Rubbermaid container.

JJ :D

First of all, (FYI) if your pump does go out, DO NOT pay the $240.00 that camper stores get, instead go to a farm supply or ag supply like Northern Tool or Mills Fleet Farm supply, I got mine (exact same) for $59.90. NICE MARKUP!

Also, we do not need 2.8 Gallons Per Minnute flow rate pumps. Although that is what they put in campers, they wast water. Tanks fill up or run out too fast, etc. I changed mine to a 1.0 GPM pump and now 10 gallons of water lasts as long as 28 gallons used to.

If you do have a 30 gallon tank with a 2.8 GPM Pump, you get a 10 min shower, that's it.
    If you do have a 30 gallon tank with a 2.8 GPM Pump, you get a 10 min to wash dishes. 3 people get 3 min's to brush their teeth.
    If you do have a 30 gallon tank with a 1.0 GPM Pump, you get 3-10 min showers or 20 min's to do the dishes, 10 min's to shower and 3 min's to brush the teeth, etc

Go to any hardware store and replace the faucet areator screens to the cheap water saver kind for $3.00 apiece, change your shower head to the universal kind with the adjustable center dial which controls the spray from needle spray to flooding spray. You will be glad you did.