Winter Will Not End

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by mastercraft, Apr 15, 2007.

1. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

Butch,
    How's the weather in New york? Winter will just not end will it? We keep having cold snaps that keep killing the spring flowers here in Ga.
    Jef

2. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

It is supposed to be 72 degrees here today and then snow Mon. and Tues. Every year, it does this and my lilacs bud and then the cold snap kills them and they don't come back until the following year. I really should live in Fla. but it isn't an option!!!

3. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

We too are supposed to get a couple of inches of snow overnight. Basically, I like winter, but I don't like November and April, and this weather reminds me why. On the othe hand, Cheryl, I choose a big snowstorm over a hurricane anytime. So, Florida is perfect for visiting, but not for permanent living.
    Remember earlier, when we talked about Maple Syrup making? Just for the fun of it I tapped two trees in our backyard so we could drink the maple sap, and I have a picture for you here:

[attachmentid=50]

Attached Files:

4. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

wprigge, thanks for the pic. You said you drink the maple sap - what sort of process do you have to go thru to get it ready for that?

5. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

Cheryl,
    There is nothing special to do, just collect the sap and drink it. It has a sugar content of between 2 and 4%, so it is not very sweet. On a good day a decent size tree can give between one and two gallons. In the early season the sap is best, and we put a a jug or two in the fridge. In that case I put it through a paper filter to keep impurities out. Later in the season when it gets warmer the color is a little brownish, and it does not take long to find tiny flies in the sap.
    When our kids were little, they would lay on their backs under the tap and wait for the drops to fall in their mouth. Next year I'll bring two buckets to our daughter in Ottawa and tap their trees to initiate our granddaughters.
    Good grief, the snow started 30 min. ago and there is already an inch and a half on the ground.... I hope this is really the last of the white stuff for this season.

6. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Jef,

You would not believe the weather we have here today, but then you might as yesterday the weather in your area was not good either. Today, Sunday, we have snow, sleet, plain old heavy rain, and as the "low" moves out, the wind will pick up. We keep telling each other, "spring is coming", but when, is the question!! The temperature is in the low 40's, our temps are normally in the 50's at this time of year. The manager, at our winter storage for our motor home, called Friday night, to say that we should not show up on Saturday to remove the Rv, their first move out day, as the unit was still blocked in. I was not about to move it out with a winter storm on our door step for Sunday. Our weather people tell us that 50's should be in this weekends forecast, only time will tell.

Our trees here are starting to bud out, flowers are coming up, time will tell if any damage has been done, if it ever warms up. Where is that global warming ??? Weather, we can talk about it, but really can't do anything to change it.

7. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

Today we had 40mph wind gusts with passing sprinkles and snow flurries. Glad you survivied today. Maybe we can all go camping sometime this spring. Also, I saw the Garmin GPS at Circuit City for 299. The price went up at BJ's to 349. I should have bought it when I had the chance.
    Jef

8. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

We took the Garmin to New York City last week, and it worked great. We just entered whatever sight we were going to see and it gave us directions. We also took a drive to upstate NY, to Greg's childhood home and it took us right to it. It is definitely worth the money!!!

9. Browzin

Browzin
    Expand Collapse

I'm sorry for all the bad weather all of you have been having. I just can't help but mention the mid 80's we are having and the fact that it is getting close to time for us to move a little farther north again, it's just getting a little too warm. Low 80's to upper 70's that's the way we like it, try to keep moving all the time just to maintain that temp.

10. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

Speaking of weather, what will the weather be like in July at Yellowstone and Glacier. We have heard to bring anything from winter coats to shorts and T'shirts. Is that accurate?

11. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

Mastercraft,
    Remember it's at a high altitude (around 2000 meters if my memory is correct). That means there is a wide margin of possibilities for the weather. When I was there many years ago, end of July to beginning of August, days were ok for jeans and long armed shirts, nights were pretty cool, but nowhere near freezing. On our way back over the Bighorn Mountains we took Powder River Pass, and at the top there was wet snow on the ground, although not on the road, the asphalt being just warm enough to melt the stuff. So I suggest you bring at least clothes you would wear in the fall.

12. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Mastercraft, we went to Yellowstone last July. Stayed at the Grizzly RV Park at the suggestion of other members here - great park. We did wear shorts during the day, and jeans at night. I am not sure if you are camping in a motorhome, tent or pop-up. As we were in a motorhome, we were certainly warm inside but if you are going to be more exposed to the elements, you may want to dress a little warmer. I really do not remember it being that cool, but we were rarely outside after 9:00 p.m.

13. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

Cheryl, I told my wife the same thing. We have a 38 foot 5th wheel, I told her we did not need to bring any winter clothes as we could just go inside if it gets to cold for the clothes we bring. The benefits of an RV.
    WPrigge, I have had fresh maple syrup and it was awesome. I have never had any straight from the tree. I bet it is great on pancakes while camping.

14. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

Mastercraft,
    What you get from the tree is no syrup, it is the sap of the maple tree. It is not very sweet (about 4% sugar) and as liquid as water, so it's no good for pancakes. In order to get syrup, you need to boil the sap for many hours as between 30 and 40 gal. of sap will give one gal. of syrup. We tap the trees just for the fun of it, and we love the taste of cool maple sap.

15. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the info. I did not know that. I knew maple sap was cooked, but I did not know they were not the same thing. It still sounds like a neat tradition.